Cheap bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive tried but it didnt really work. Most were flip top and only had a few bottles

If you have a local recycling center, you can usually swing by those and pick up as many as you want for free.

If you have a local recycling center, you can usually swing by those and pick up as many as you want for free.

my advise as well!

What I do is I give them folks 25c (instead of 10c) for nice and unusual bottles like blue wine bottle, champagne bottle, 1 gallon glass jug and kolsch style bottles. They save all the bottles that might interest me and each month I drop by and collect around 20 kolsch bottles and 10-20 misc bottles
:rockin:

lets see...

10. Throw a craft beer party. Tell all the people you know to come over with a 6er or two.

9. Talk to bars/recycling centers.

8. Craigs list (I have seen people giving away cases of clean bottles)

7. Buy beer and drink it/cook with it yourself.

6. Recycle bin dive on recycling day.

5. Ask at your home brew club meeting if anyone has extra bottles.

4. Cosco/Sam's club and other mega-marts often have their own brand of/or cheap beer. combine this with #7

3. Ask your friends and family to save them for you.

2. Reuse Miller/Coors Home draft kits.

1. Say "piss on it" and get a kegging setup.

I've found bars and bottle shops to be the best. For .10 each you can buy them here in Michigan. You might have to get in friendly with the bar and do some time sorting.

The recycling center is also a good place, but since Michigan has the bottle deposit, you rarely see beer any bottles. Lots of wine bottles and jugs though.

I just got 48 from the bar where my bowling league is.. The bartender is very nice and gives me a free beer ticket when I change out kegs for her when she has no help :) just a warning though, with the bottles from the bar you find alot of gross things in there like chewing tobacco.. So a pre soak on the inside of the bottles for a couple days and rinse before adding to my oxiclean cooler to remove labels and clean is a must!

I second the Craigslist suggestion...just do a search for "brew" or "beer" or "homebrew."

do you have a beer distributor nearby? i do and i get a case for $2. gotta clean and scrape labels of course but it's worth it.

Does anyone know where you can get cheap bottles? Besides reusing the ones you drink

What's wrong with using the ones you drink, most of us do.

Ive tried but it didnt really work. Most were flip top and only had a few bottles

People on here KILL for fliptop bottles. They're considered the holy grail of brewing. If you can get them count yourself lucky.....

Why would you waste money on empty bottles? Just get a couple cases of any microobrew that you like and enjoy them.

Honestly, most of the bottles you buy at the lhbs are the flimsy ones. I've been using bottles from microbrews for years and I've never had a problem.

. Most of us recycle from commercial beers.

It seems at first that accumulating bottles is difficult but if you mention around to people that you brew and need crown bottles they will start showing up. There's also craigslist, and freecycle.org, hooking up with other homebrewers, recycling centers. Asking at beerstores that have a good selection of beer for their returnables. Some stores will let you have their empties for the price of the deposit. And some bars will give you all you can haul out if you ask.

Also if you want to bottle in champagne bottles, go to a hall that does weddings, heck even a moose or vfw hall, you might just have to dumpster dive at worst, or just pick cases of empty asti bottles by the back door.

It seems daunting but you'll get plenty really fast. But in reality when you annouce you are homerbewing, they do come flying at you. I even had my building super years ago just use his key and leave me some on the dinning room table. He knew he'd get beer from me on a regular basis, especially if he was gonna do some work in my place.

People on here KILL for fliptop bottles. They're considered the holy grail of brewing. If you can get them count yourself lucky.....

I have been slowly transitioning to fliptop bottles. I buy fancy french flavored water (Efferve) that comes in a clear wine bottle shaped flip-top. There is now even booze that comes in fliptops (Risque and 360), I have a local bottle bar save ALL of their empty fliptops for me, I buy a swartz beer that comes in them, I even have 20 little cute dutch ones and a few of the green Grolsh ones.

At the end of the day I love my fliptops so much more than the regular ones that I am in the process (to the wife's great delight) of giving away many of the crown bottles as gifts this year for x-mas and stuff and will be instructing people that I will not want them back. FWIW I will only save the 22oz bombers and pint sized bottles for my beer and New Castle bottles for my carbed wines.

Kill you for a fliptop? not really. Go WAY out of my way and ALWAYS look for them? You bet.

Bars around me don't even recycle. Messed up. What I do is just put a call out on twitter and Facebook and maybe someone close has a case or so. The LHBS chargers a but load for bottles. I can get a case of Stoney's in 16 ounce returnables for cheaper than empty ones.

I give the first bottle of any new batch I brew to a buddy and he gives me a twelve pack of empties.

Back