Channeling and grain material with new false bottom.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I've recently "upgraded" my 10 gal round rubbermaid MLT to a 12" stainless false bottom from NB. My first brew with it was terrible. I had LOTS of grain material coming out of the spigot and then a stuck sparge! I noticed that there was channeling the MLT also. There was a half inch gap between the walls of the tun and the grain. The bottom seems kinda warped - it doesn't sit snugly on the countertop. Anyone have similar problems with one of these? I'm afraid to use it again and I am beginning to miss my SS braid!

I use the same setup, and although I always get a few grains creeping under the false bottom, they never give me any problem; but mine does sit snugly on a counter-top. :)
Or so I thought.
After reading your post, I got it out and placed it on a counter-top and found that there was a gap of about 1/32nd " on one edge.:confused:
This isn't enough to cause me any problems though.
When I started using it, I think I may have had a bit of channeling as my efficiency dropped by about 5% over my previous MLT with plastic phalse bottom on a 5g MLT. However, my efficiency gradually recovered as I got used to the new equipment. I have to sparge low gravity batches a bit slower, but can sparge higher gravity batches considerably faster

-a.

Same exact setup here...I just recirculate until it starts runnign clear...you may be draining it too quickly...start off slowly then gradually you can increase the rate as the grain settles onto you false bottom.

I'm no expert but works well for me.

Back