New false bottom...first stuck sparge...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic74

Reaction score
Hi all - I have just returned to AG brewing after a 5 year hiatus. I bought a new pot along with a some new mash tun hardware and false bottom (using a 10g Rubbermaid cooler). I was using the SS braid which worked well for my 40 or so batches I did numerous years back. I bought a Titan FB from NB that fits into the bottom of the cooler and thought this would be a good upgrade. I connected with the thick hi-temp hose. I do batch sparging and went to do my first running and....nothing. I stirred, etc but only a very light flow came out and not much grain. I had to take all the grain out and use a strainer to get my first running. Inspected the FB and didn't really see anything obvious that would cause the issue. Did my batch sparge w/3 gallons and second runnings worked perfectly. After my final 3g sparge, that one got stuck again and had to repeat my emptying of the grains and straining. What a mess but everything worked out. I am unsure as to why this might be happening. I am not sure if it is a vacuum issue or grain clogging something. This was a basic Pale Ale so no Wheat or Rye and I used a 1.3 ratio. Not sure if I should just go back to the braided SS hose as I never really had problems with that. Thanks for any help or recommendations!

I tried going with a false bottom for several mashes. I tried a lot of goofy stuff to get it to behave, but I kept getting stuck sparges. I eventually switched to a braid type filter and it's worked well ever since.

If it works, and you get clear beer, I'd say stick with the braided hose.

Can you post a picture of this new FB, particularly showing the through-fitting projecting down through the screen - and how far down it projects....

[edit] Also, show the tubing used...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of this new FB, particularly showing the through-fitting projecting down through the screen - and how far down it projects....

[edit] Also, show the tubing used...

Cheers!

Hello - I have attached a pic of the setup and the underside of the FB...thanks!
20201019_094103_resized.jpg
20201019_094049_resized.jpg

I tried going with a false bottom for several mashes. I tried a lot of goofy stuff to get it to behave, but I kept getting stuck sparges. I eventually switched to a braid type filter and it's worked well ever since.

If it works, and you get clear beer, I'd say stick with the braided hose.

That's interesting...if I cannot figure out what happened I will likely go back to a braid.

Ok, the plastic endmost fitting is slotted so even if it was making contact with the cooler floor it should not have stopped the flow.

But I wonder if that silicone tube is collapsing. It could be worth slipping a stainless steel spring inside it, or switch to a reinforced tube.

fwiw, I started with a 10g cooler tun with a stamped domed FB, used it for years without issue...

Cheers!

Ok, the plastic endmost fitting is slotted so even if it was making contact with the cooler floor it should not have stopped the flow.

But I wonder if that silicone tube is collapsing. It could be worth slipping a stainless steel spring inside it, or switch to a reinforced tube.

fwiw, I started with a 10g cooler tun with a stamped domed FB, used it for years without issue...

Cheers!

It's very rigid hose and I cannot even pinch it so I am not sure that it is the issue. Just odd that my second running worked so well and the other 2 were completely dead. I would think if it was an issue with grain getting underneath I would see it coming through but I didn't. I'm thinking it is some kind of air/vacuum issue where the siphon will not start..

I use a similar designed false bottom on my round cooler mash tun. Early on I had a stuck sparge and I think it was caused by grains getting under the perimeter edges of the round bottom because I had it too high. I learned to adjust it properly up and down so that it is in contact with the bottom of the cooler so the grains can't get under it. The center column is threaded so I can adjust it up and down so that it is in perfect contact with the cooler bottom. Ever since I started adjusting it like this, it has worked perfect and better than the braid designs. It doesn't take much grain to plug the small tube. If there is wort there and the tube isn't plugged, it will flow.

If in fact it was grain getting around the perimeter of the FB, there are ways that can be prevented. Depends on the diameter of the FB vs the cooler liner.
For example, I used a silicone rubber gasket with a particular profile to take up the gap around the 12" perforated FB in my 10g Rubbermaid tun...

Thread is here, original/lost pics are reposted here.

1603163389396.png

Also used a braided/reinforced hose...

Cheers!

I used to use a false bottom and I was always having to vorlauf and deal with stuck sparge. I switched to a mesh bag, made some changes to account for the lower efficiency, and I've never looked back.

Back