Chances of contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic2887

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of beer (boundary waters wheat from midwest brewing). I have been pretty maticulous about sanitizing everything so far with one step sanitizer. But as i racked to my secondary today, I ran some sanatizing solution through my racking cane and tubing but I forgot to sanitize the outside of the racking cane. So that got dipped into by beer, unsanitized, as I racked into my secondary. I plan on just hopin nothin happened and i am gonnna continue with the process as normal but does anyone know the chances of possible contamination are in this case?? Thank you

Once a beer is already fermented, the chances of infection drop quite a bit.

What kind of beer is it anyways, and what is the ABV on it (or at least the OG, if you don't know)?

1 - you will most likely be fine

2 - next time longer primary and skip the secondary as you mostly don't need to do one

emjay- its a wheat beer called boundary waters wheat from midwest brewing. OG was a little low at 1.033 (my appt was a little warm at hydrometer reading tho, about 80degrees) and the FG was 1.008. Thanks for the reply's guys, much appriciated

When you are finished with that container of One-Step, you should buy a different sanitizer. With a product like Iodophor or Star-san your sanitiation routine will be much more secure. Products like One-Step (Peroxides) are used up when they sanitize, so if your equipment is pretty dirty you are not guaranteed that it was sanitized. Not wanting to scare you (I used it for my first 6 batches or so, and no infections) just letting you know for next time.

Back