Champagne Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using some of these that are in peoples recycle bins where I live so that I can crack on with the new batch. Since I am all grain brewer it takes nature longer to condition my beer than if I buy tins of premium grade malt extract. Two bottles of Grolsch flip-top sell for £3 for two where I live. I was considering using regular wine bottles but have been advised that that this would not be an acceptable risk taking.

Not sure what some of the more experienced guys will say. However, I have used 750ml bottles before and did not have any undesirable effects. My only though would be perhaps it would take longer to condition? I dunno, seems like it would should not matter.

Champagne bottles are great for bottling beer. Regular wine bottles are not designed for pressure and I wouldn't use them. Plus, you can't put a cap on them. You can with some types of champagne bottles. It should take no longer to condition than normal bottles.

What do you mean that "Since I am an all grain brewer it takes longer for nature to condition my beer..."? All-grain or extract doesn't matter when conditioning time comes. You add some corn sugar and voila.

Cheers :D

I used Sam Adams Choc Bock bottles (mostly cause I love the pewter logo). Capped just fine.

What I mean is that when I was brewing from kits I got a CRYSTAL CLEAR result everytime. This is exactly what I am shooting for. The problem is that the smell was not all aromatic and hoppy but smelt a bit akin to evaporated milk. The taste was fine though so you could say that going to all grain was not in my best interest. Now that I have gone to AG - my last batch was not an acceptable level of transparency. This is something that I am working on and I do have thoughts on how I can clarrify the situation.

Back