Chamber Failure & Sulfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussPDX

Reaction score
So I had a problem with my ferm chamber. There was a power outage and my STC setting for deviation from the set point moved to 2 degress C. That caused my wort to drop to about 59F. The chamber is out my friends house where we brew and he called me yesterday to let me know that he just noticed this. We had brewed it last weekend.

Basic AG Pale Ale 1.052 OG

Took a sample and it is at 1.010 FG, but there is a nasty sulfery off flavor.

We had pitched Wyeast 1056 (Starter as normal) and the chamber had been set at 64F so I think that what happened is that there was plenty of heat in there for the yeast to crank through the sugars but then as the temp dropped they shut down and are not doing a good job of cleaning up after themselves.

I fixed the issue with the chamber and the temp is now set for 65F

Looking for suggestions.
1. Just wait......
2. Rouse the yeast and wait
3. Move to secondary and wait
5. Pitch fresh yeast, drink more beer, and wait

I wouldn't worry too much. I generally ferment in the very low 60s with that yeast. I doubt it hurt anything. Like watermelon83 said, just give it a warm-up and a swirl and it should take off again.

Well since the FG is 1.01 its probably done. Let it sit for a bit and see if the yeast cleans it up. also i would ferment that yeast at 65-68*F.

Raised the temp to 65 and the smell is almost gone.

Back