Challenge: Yeast that somehow feeds on Algae

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSmithx

Reaction score
Ok all you brew brainiacs, microbiologists, and all around experienced tinkerers of tinctures, I have a challenge for you. I once first came to these forums to ask this as a question, but not I assert it as a challenge...

Yeast that feed on algae. This can include yeast feeding on dead algae as well.
Reason:

Curious project - water and sun and little more can readily produce algae.
Yeast produces C02. The algae can thrive on extra C02. If yeast can feed on live or dead algae, then as the algae grows in one container and detritus of dead algae accumulate, and in some fashion overflow into a second container of yeast. A disconnected and man made symbiotic relationship, the result of which in the end is an organic C02 producing system which only needs sun and a little water to fuel.

Algae are a soft-bodied organism, yeast should be able to break them down, but maybe they do not simply because they do not feed on live anything? If so, can yeast be bred that can at least feed on the remains of dead algae which would be even more efficient?

What are the most aggressive, voracious breeds of Yeast ever known that might qualify as the best candidates for such breeding?

Thank you very much.

Ok all you brew brainiacs, microbiologists, and all around experienced tinkerers of tinctures, I have a challenge for you. I once first came to these forums to ask this as a question, but not I assert it as a challenge...

Yeast that feed on algae. This can include yeast feeding on dead algae as well.
Reason:

Curious project - water and sun and little more can readily produce algae.
Yeast produces C02. The algae can thrive on extra C02. If yeast can feed on live or dead algae, then as the algae grows in one container and detritus of dead algae accumulate, and in some fashion overflow into a second container of yeast. A disconnected and man made symbiotic relationship, the result of which in the end is an organic C02 producing system which only needs sun and a little water to fuel.

Algae are a soft-bodied organism, yeast should be able to break them down, but maybe they do not simply because they do not feed on live anything? If so, can yeast be bred that can at least feed on the remains of dead algae which would be even more efficient?

What are the most aggressive, voracious breeds of Yeast ever known that might qualify as the best candidates for such breeding?

Thank you very much.
Okay, something that I am looking into right now is that certain algae have a high content of oil. As you can imagine, after extracting the oil and water, I'd be left with the remains which would be high in cellulose starch umong other things. From here it should be possible to make a yeast based brew with the water and the left overs. The algae would be dead because one has to evaporate the oil out of them under pressure using similar apparatus for distilling.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Back