CFC Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
In the past I have filled my sink up with warm PBW solution and used a small submersible pond pump to recirculate the solution through the CFC. Then Ill do the same with water to rinse out the chiller then gravity feed some starsan in.

I never really had an issue with this just took some time. My motto is always been just like Denny, make the best beer possible with the least effort and time. So I read about people pumping their sparge water through the CFC to sanitize it, so I did this, and loved its simplicity.

So I brewed a cream ale, and it turned out ok. There is just a SLIGHT sourness at the finish. Its so slight that some sips I cant pick up on it at all. I don't remember it having that taste before I kegged it, I'm also wondering if this is carbonic acid, the beer is so light, maybe this is showing up right away? Keg was cleaned very well, fully disassembled pbw wash, water rinse, then starsan rinse, new o-rings this time around too. Or is it a possible infection from the new method with the CFC?

I guess, how many people out there actually recirculate the sparge water compared to an actually clean and sanitation of the CFC?

Also anyone experience this flavor before?

Grainbill:
Pale 57%
Munich 28%
Crystal 10%
Carpils 5%

Hops:
.5 Cascade 60
.5 Cascade 10

It could be tannins and not contamination?

My hot side stuff gets a oxyclean run through, rinse, Then a starsan run through.

Back