CFC Barb Nipples/QDs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcelgin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interested in putting barbs or QDs on my CFC using a compression fitting, but stainless compression fittings are like $30 (...right?) and I think for that price I could keep with using a hose clamp to keep the tubing attached.

That said, I think I'm getting a pump and will bite the bullet and upgrade everything from 3/8" to 1/2", stainless where practical. Is anyone else using 1/2" tubing on a 3/8" CFC? Are you clamping it down, using nipples, QDs, or something else I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

I don't really see the need to go 1/2 inch all the way to your CFC. What does that really buy you? It will bottleneck at your CFC anyway, so you aren't going to gain that much flow rate there. I have 1/2" tubing for sparging/recirculation, but still use 3/8" going into the CFC. I just have a QD on the pump outlet to switch to my 3/8" tubing when it is time to go to my chiller.

I'm assuming the pump will be for other things too so yeah, 1/2" hoses makes sense. You'll only have a bottleneck when you're chilling. I'm a big fan of the proflow camlocks. You'd need a 3/8" tube to either male or female 1/2" npt on the compression fitting.

Yes Bobby_M, the pump will be used for a lot of things, and I also read that 809 performance on 3/8" wasn't great. I like rudy's suggestion as well, and MoreBeer has the fitting I would need for half of what I thought it would be, so I think I'm all set.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back