"Cereal Killer" grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe... missing the nut on the handle assy and no flat machined into the shaft?... I wonder what the odds of that are?
Are you sure it was a "cereal killer" brand mill?

Id start playing the lottery if I were you...

Yup, it came in a cereal killer box and everything. I threw all the box and packing materials away, and I was so pissed off and frustrated with the handle that I tossed that as well.

So I don't think there is much I can do about it now, but at least I got lucky that it works.

The Cereal Killer mill is made in the USA? I was under the impression it was made in China. Good to know its a US product! I wish it came with a lifetime like the BC.

The Cereal Killer mill is made in the USA? I was under the impression it was made in China. Good to know its a US product! I wish it came with a lifetime like the BC.

It is NOT made in the USA... the wooden base is and proudly labeled such to throw people off into assuming the whole thing is.
And since the wooden base is screwed to the mill in the usa it can be considered made in the usa... kind of like the new harleys... final assy here means made in the usa now

As far as my research shows, everything but the wooden base was made and assembled in china.

It is NOT made in the USA... the wooden base is and proudly labeled such to throw people off into assuming the whole thing is.
And since the wooden base is screwed to the mill in the usa it can be considered made in the usa... kind of like the new harleys... final assy here means made in the usa now

As far as my research shows, everything but the wooden base was made and assembled in china.

Thats what I thought... guess i will get a barley crusher then.

Thats what I thought... guess i will get a barley crusher then.

I'm pretty sure the distributer already admitted most of the parts like the rollers are also made in china but assy is done in the states...
expect to pay 2x3 times as much for a real usa mill if its that important to you...

wow...I want US made. Looking at the Millars Mill B3 159, plus s&h. SS 7" rollers with bearings, 10 pound hopper, etc... . They say it 100% US made.

wow...I want US made. Looking at the Millars Mill B3 159, plus s&h. SS 7" rollers with bearings, 10 pound hopper, etc... . They say it 100% US made.

if you do a search you will find a thread here somewhere, where the distributor is quoted and he states its "made" here with foriegn and domestic components...

In anycase the barely crusher does not have bearings like the cereal killer, it uses bushings which is more of a disposable design since they wear out (especially when the mill is motor driven with a belt ,gears or a chain.

No bearings on my cereal killer. Took it apart a couple of weeks ago to clean it.
Great looks like I was misinformed... I havent pulled mine apart but was told there was bearings pressed in for the main rollers in another review thread were someone did a teardown.

I have done 4 crushes with mine thus far and am happy with it. Got it as a gift for Christmas so no initial investment. Have used a Barley Crusher as well for my first all grain batch ever. I power it with my 18v Dewalt drill and it chews right through the grain. No complaints here.

Ok just heard from Millars Mills about being USA made or not..."ALL THE PARTS ARE 100% MADE IN OUR SHOPS IN USA! EVEN THE SCREWS ARE USA SOURCED!"
Todd Millar

Sounds like 100% manufactured in the USA to me. I will spend a few extra bucks and get the B3 from Millars Mills.

Just ordered the Cereal Killer yesterday. Stoked to finally be able to use up some of my bulk grains.

For those of you who use a drill bit, what size do you use? Apparently my 1/2 inch drill is too small :(

Ok just heard from Millars Mills about being USA made or not..."ALL THE PARTS ARE 100% MADE IN OUR SHOPS IN USA! EVEN THE SCREWS ARE USA SOURCED!"
Todd Millar

Sounds like 100% manufactured in the USA to me. I will spend a few extra bucks and get the B3 from Millars Mills.

by "a few extra bucks" do you really mean like twice the price of a cereal killer mill ??:drunk:

The Beer Essentials in Lakewood Washington carries Cereal Killer mills but the last time I was there, they had a three roller mill that looked like it was manufactured by the same folks. I cant find a picture of it on the net, I'll have to take a cell pic of it next time I'm there.

Has anyone heard of these? The price was $199 - for a three roller mill!

EDIT: Maybe it was a Monster Mill... It didnt look identical though.

A note on repairs to the Cereal Killer. On my last batch, the passive roller on my mill bound up. On disassembly, I found the sealed bearing on one end of the roller was in bad shape. AIH eventually replaced the role for me, but I'd like to report that the fix is pretty simple with a new 698z bearing and a blind bearing puller. New bearings can be had very cheaply if you are not particular about origin.

I just ordered one too. I have a high torque drill but it doesn't have variable speed so I bet it's too fast. I dont know the RPMs off the top of my head. Is it pretty tough to hand crank a batch? Not sure I feel like spending another $50 right now just for a drill to use on it. Down the road I'll make a cabinet for it and mount everything.

Is it pretty tough to hand crank a batch?
hand-milling a batch of grain is something you do exactly once. it's a major pain.

Not sure I feel like spending another $50 right now just for a drill to use on it.
i've seen drills for under $20 on amazon, and you can probably find a used one for less on ebay...

hand-milling a batch of grain is something you do exactly once. it's a major pain.

Hahah, I've done this for every batch I've made on my system- over 20 batches, most with grainbills greater than 20lbs.

The Cereal Killer is a great mill, I vacuum mine out after each hand-milling effort and it seems to hold a gap well.

I have a power drill that I could use, but I still hand mill every batch. Takes like 15min going continuously at a good pace. It tires my arm out but I dont mind. Makes my brews even more Hand-made

I have this mill and Its milled over 150 batches and shows no signs of slowing down. Even survived a 2 story drop off my deck once

Excellent. I'll try it out and see how bad it is.

If I try out my drill, is there any tell-tale signs it's running too fast? Can it damage the mill, or will it just not crush well?

I received mine last night. It appears to operate smooth. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it but I am already thinking of a way to bench mount it. I'm not sure if I want to power it with a drill or look into a motor. I already have a power drill I can dedicate to the task. I just don't know how to keep a slow constant speed with a drill. :drunk: I'll figure something out... :mug:

My old Kawasaki drill crapped out on me on the very first time I went to use it on my Cereal Killer. It did about 2 rotations of the roller before it died. The next 20 minutes were pretty brutal, and I knew I'd never want to hand crank it again.

So knowing that I would be using my next drill on this mill (probably more than on anything else, lol), I made sure to get one with a 1/2" chuck and one with variable speed and torque settings. I settled on a 19.2v Craftsman C3 Lithium due to price mainly ($70 on sale), but it works great on low speed and high torque. It says 0-400 RPM on high torque, and it goes through 15lbs of grain in under 100 seconds.

Excellent. I'll try it out and see how bad it is.

If I try out my drill, is there any tell-tale signs it's running too fast? Can it damage the mill, or will it just not crush well?

Watch for some coupons from Harbor Freight.
They have a variable speed control, that is intended for routers, that people have plugged their "grain mill drills" into, with good results.

Back