Central NJ - Learn how to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby_M said:
No problem. Is everyone cool with an ESB? If anyone wants something else, I can be flexible with which share I take.

I'm cool with whatever. I don't have any experience with any ESBs, but I've been meaning to brew one, so this will be good.

Bobby_M said:
No problem. Is everyone cool with an ESB? If anyone wants something else, I can be flexible with which share I take.

I'm fine with 20 gallons of ESB or 10 ESB and 10 something else. It doesn't matter to me, but I do think the light hopping/less amount of grain for ESB's will be good for this occasion :mug:

Bobby_M said:
Yeah I agree. I'm taking ingredient inventory right now.

I have available for Sunday:

2oz Northern Brewer
2oz Wilamette
1oz First Gold
30+lbs of Maris Otter

IMO, any of the hops will work for an ESB. I'd love to see some Vienna in the recipe as well...

Still trying to figure if all those different grains are appropriate or not. If we like the recipe, I have all the ingredients besides the Willamette and NB hops you mentioned. We can use your MO or mine.

[size=+2]CNJ AG Seminar ESB[/size]
[size=+1]8-C Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)[/size]

13.jpg

Size: 11.00 gal
Efficiency: 91.83%
Attenuation: 74.6%
Calories: 179.19 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.048 - 1.060)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.016)
|=================#==============|
Color: 13.9 (6.0 - 18.0)
|==================#=============|
Alcohol: 5.26% (4.6% - 6.2%)
|==============#=================|
Bitterness: 36.14 (30.0 - 50.0)
|============#===================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
15 lbs Maris Otter Pale
2 lbs Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs Victory® Malt
0.25 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 80L
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
0.25 lbs 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 40 min
1 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min

S-04 or Nottingham, I have both.

00:30:25 Mash In - Target: 153 °F[/i]

It might be cool to swap out the Willamette for EKG for the second batch just to later compare (if everyone agrees to get back together for tasting).

Bobby_M said:
Still trying to figure if all those different grains are appropriate or not. If we like the recipe, I have all the ingredients besides the Willamette and NB hops you mentioned. We can use your MO or mine.

13.jpg

Size: 11.00 gal
Efficiency: 91.83%
Calories: 179.19 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.048 - 1.060)
|===============#================|
Color: 13.9 (6.0 - 18.0)
Alcohol: 5.26% (4.6% - 6.2%)

15 lbs Maris Otter Pale
2 lbs Vienna Malt
0.5 lbs Victory® Malt
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt

S-04 or Nottingham, I have both.

00:30:25 Mash In - Target: 153 °F[/i]

Looks good. Do you think we should mash that low though?

Maybe 154-155 but I wouldn't go too much further than that.

A guy in my homebrewclub just took a 1st place at Splitrock with an ESB and it was such a simple recipe:

14lbs MO
1lb crystal40l
.5 carapils

EKG throughout (way low IBU to style though at only 16 IBU) Weird.

Soulive21 said:
Looks good. Do you think we should mash that low though?
From my understanding the mash temperature is a proponent for how dry or sweet the wort will be. I think on the lower side of 150F-170F range, it's a bit sweeter and on the higher side dryer. I think I read that in the Palmer book. That being said, I think I messed up my last extract + steeping grains winter porter recipe by doing it straight down 160F. Doh!

In some senses it's probably better to air on the lower side. Otherwise you risk extracting tannins.

njnear76 said:
From my understanding the mash temperature is a proponent for how dry or sweet the wort will be. I think on the lower side of 150F-170F range, it's a bit sweeter and on the higher side dryer. I think I read that in the Palmer book. That being said, I think I messed up my last extract + steeping grains winter porter recipe by doing it straight down 160F. Doh!

You're right on the first part but it goes - lower mash temps mean drier beers and higher mash temp mean maltier beers. Mashing low means more fermentables for the yeast to devour. Mashing high means more unfermentables that the yeast don't consume...

Soulive21 said:
You're right on the first part but it goes - lower mash temps mean drier beers and higher mash temp mean maltier beers. Mashing low means more fermentables for the yeast to devour. Mashing high means more unfermentables that the yeast don't consume...

Hmmm... that makes more sense.

It gets a little tricky because mash temps aren't the only variable in the equation. You have specialty grains that are dextrinous which don't care about mash temps and then you also have yeast strains that attenuate more or less. Just as a for instance you might make two beers that finish out at about the same FG; one mashed at 150F and fermented with Windsor and the other mashed at 155F and fermented with S-04/Nottingham. This is just an example and not exact.

Most of the guys in my club mentioned using 154 for their ESBs. It's probably a good rule of thumb given the relatively low percentage of caramel malts in this bill. We def want enough malt backbone for the 30+ IBU.

Anyone use Victory in English beers? I thought it was a common use.

Bobby_M said:
It gets a little tricky because mash temps aren't the only variable in the equation. You have specialty grains that are dextrinous which don't care about mash temps and then you also have yeast strains that attenuate more or less. Just as a for instance you might make two beers that finish out at about the same FG; one mashed at 150F and fermented with Windsor and the other mashed at 155F and fermented with S-04/Nottingham. This is just an example and not exact.

Most of the guys in my club mentioned using 154 for their ESBs. It's probably a good rule of thumb given the relatively low percentage of caramel malts in this bill. We def want enough malt backbone for the 30+ IBU.

Anyone use Victory in English beers? I thought it was a common use.

I've always used 154F as my middle ground for mashing. I'd go down for Saisons and up for English ales for example. I've used Victory in an IPA before. I think the Vienna will cover it up and dominate...

Final recipe and schedule:

13.jpg

Size: 11.0 gal
Efficiency: 88%
Calories: 176.92 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.053 (1.048 - 1.060)
Color: 13.6 (6.0 - 18.0)
Alcohol: 5.2% (4.6% - 6.2%)
|=============#==================|

16 lbs Maris Otter Pale
2 lbs Vienna Malt
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
2 ea Lallemand Nottingham

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:30:27 Mash In - Liquor: 5.5 gal; Strike: 167.7 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:30:27 Sac Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 154.0 °F
01:40:27 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 152 °F, 3.11 gal collected, 0.0 min; Batch 1: 4.5 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 4.5 gal collected, 5 min; Batch 2: 4.5 gal sparge @ 180 °F, 4.5 gal collected, 5 min; Total Runoff: 12.42 gal

[size=+1]Notes:[/size]
Either of the 10 gallon batches will use two packs of Nottingham or S-04.

Soulive, (what the hell is your real name dude? I don't think you ever told me),
Don't forget to bring clean carboys/buckets to take your share home.

Haha, my name's Ben. I thought I might have put it in a PM at some point :drunk:

I'd prefer to use my MO for half the batch. I won't be getting more in until next week earliest, so I dont wanna exhaust my supply. I'll also throw in my Northern Brewers & Willamettes...

Ok Ben (thanks) so it will break down like this:

We'll use 16lbs of your MO and 4oz hops (NB and Will). I figure that's about $25 worth of stuff. I'll be kicking in 16lbs MO, 6lbs specialty, 4oz hops, and 4 packs dry yeast for a total of about $35 (I was estimating a bit low on my last post). So, $60 divided by 4 is $15 each.

njnear76 and janzik can just each throw in their $15, you take $10 and I'll $20. I hope that's fair, my math skills suck.

Wow, I'm really the noob in this bunch. I'm Joe, btw...

I'm most likely going to bring up a few home brews I've done, so you guys can critique (or hopefully celebrate my extract brewing prowess :) ) (this is based on what is left after Thanksgiving and a Saturday night dinner party)

Is there any equipment I should bring up? (carboy or whatever)

Bobby_M said:
Ok Ben (thanks) so it will break down like this:

We'll use 16lbs of your MO and 4oz hops (NB and Will). I figure that's about $25 worth of stuff. I'll be kicking in 16lbs MO, 6lbs specialty, 4oz hops, and 4 packs dry yeast for a total of about $35 (I was estimating a bit low on my last post). So, $60 divided by 4 is $15 each.

njnear76 and janzik can just each throw in their $15, you take $10 and I'll $20. I hope that's fair, my math skills suck.

Yeah whatever, I'm open. I'm just glad to be getting the 5 gallons of wort...

Soulive21 said:
Yeah whatever, I'm open. I'm just glad to be getting the 5 gallons of wort...
Sounds good to me. Man, I should have switched to all grain a long time a go. 15 bucks to brew beer. That's ridiculously awesome.

I can bring some of my Irish Red. What about food? Maybe each of us can provide something.

I think Bobby said he'll provide the coffee. I can bring some bagels. There's a place on the way that has some decent bagels. Some one can bring some OJ, someone else can bring a coffee cake, etc... Just an idea.

njnear76 said:
Hmmm.... that sucks. Is it still drinkable or is it too young?

Its definitely drinkable, but I sparged hotter than the roasted barley could tolerate. I just totally spaced out on that one. I should've probably steeped it separately. I can explain on Sunday if that doesnt make sense yet :)

If we're still chugging along by lunchtime we can get a pizza or something. I'll def have coffee on because even on a brewday I have a 10am drinking time minimum.

Janzik, just bring whatever fermenter you want to take your 6 gallons away in. I'd recommend a 6.5g carboy or bucket.

Also, everyone, bring a thermometer if you have one (you should). I have one but I'm questioning its accuracy.

Hey, if any of you guys are interested in checking out the WHALES homebrew club, there's a meeting tonight at JJbitings in Woodbridge at 8pm, second floor dining room. It's very low pressure so don't let intimidation stop you.

Soulive21 said:
Its definitely drinkable, but I sparged hotter than the roasted barley could tolerate. I just totally spaced out on that one. I should've probably steeped it separately. I can explain on Sunday if that doesnt make sense yet :)
I hear you. The Irish Red has a slight edge to it, which might be due to astringency. But then it again, it could be because it is a lighter and hoppier beer. I usually brew stouts and porters, which are smoother. Bring some anyways. I would like to know your definition of astringent.

Bobby_M said:
If we're still chugging along by lunchtime we can get a pizza or something. I'll def have coffee on because even on a brewday I have a 10am drinking time minimum.

Janzik, just bring whatever fermenter you want to take your 6 gallons away in. I'd recommend a 6.5g carboy or bucket.

Also, everyone, bring a thermometer if you have one (you should). I have one but I'm questioning its accuracy.

Yeah 10am (HBT time) is my earliest ;)

No really I'd like to hold out until noon but who knows :mug:

I'll bring the Oatmeal Stout for sure...

Bobby_M said:
I have a 10am drinking time minimum.
Does that mean we have to have a drink by 10am? OK. Sounds good. That rule is consistent with my yearly Fishing Trips in Canada.

Bobby_M said:

Ok, I'll bring a 6.5 gal carboy with me...

Depending on how the next couple of days goes, I will have a couple bottles of the following left:

Jersey Devil Ale (In the style of Pete's Wicked)
Hirschgarten Marzen/Oktoberfest
A Celebration Ale clone which will be 1-2-3 this Saturday (as of 2 weeks bottled it was very rough)

Soulive21 said:
Is everyone still good to go? Let me know if anything changes...
A couple of things:

I'm going to bring 2 22oz of the Irish Red and 1 22oz of the Dry Stout. Should I bring any more? I figure we are just going to sample some brews.

Bagels. Who wants one? What kind? The bagel shop should just about have any of the standards: everything, whole wheat, blueberry, etc... I'll bring some standard cream cheese.

See you tomorrow morning... i'm bringing some commercial belgian, homebrw extract ESB, and some of that pistoles.

My Father and I are still good to go. He isn't very happy that I'm picking him up at 7:30am, but then remembered it's for beer. :mug:

(any type of bagels are fine with us)

Back