Centennial hops and disease?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm waiting on my Centennial rhizomes to arrive from Northern Brewer, and while I'm waiting, I wonder if anyone can tell me what particulars to watch out for in Centennials. I've heard downy mildew can be a problem. How can one prevent/combat that? Any other issues?

Thanks in advance!

eulipion2 said:
Hello all,
I'm waiting on my Centennial rhizomes to arrive from Northern Brewer, and while I'm waiting, I wonder if anyone can tell me what particulars to watch out for in Centennials. I've heard downy mildew can be a problem. How can one prevent/combat that? Any other issues?

Thanks in advance!

I had this issue with my hops last year. Here is the best info i have found on it and the best ways to control it.
http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=599

KenB, thanks for the link! Most informative.

I've also heard spraying your vines with either a compose, manure or baking soda solution can stave off mildew. Anyone have any luck with those?

I really hope I don't have any problems...I've just discovered an interest in gardening. Don't want to quash it at the get-go.

Back