Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll prob want the headspace in the bucket for the kraeusen, so just enjoy the tiny bit of extra alcohol and leave it at 5gal :)

What temp did you mash at and how long was it in the fermenter? This has dropped to about 1.008 for me the last 3 times I've done it.

The mash started a little higher @ 156 because I didn't expect the temp drop to be so low. Mash out @170 for 10min. It was my first BIAB attempt. OG came out to 1.042. It was in primary for about 3 weeks at 67-69.

tg123 said:
The mash started a little higher @ 156 because I didn't expect the temp drop to be so low. Mash out @170 for 10min. It was my first BIAB attempt. OG came out to 1.042. It was in primary for about 3 weeks at 67-69.

Gotcha. Thats probably it. I am normally hitting 148-149 on mine for 75 min. If it was stable for 3 days dont think you have any bottle bomb worries. Sure it will be tasty.

Gotcha. Thats probably it. I am normally hitting 148-149 on mine for 75 min. If it was stable for 3 days dont think you have any bottle bomb worries. Sure it will be tasty.

I see. Thanks for the info. So mashing at higher tremps can cause this issue?

Higher mash temps lead to more unfermentable sugars, which will lead to a higher FG as the yeast can't consume unfermentable sugars.

I would suggest picking up a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer. It explains this and a lot of other essential subjects homebrewers need to know.

Yep, generally I mash my easy Pale Ales around 150, IPA's around 152, and my Choc Oatmeal Stout around 154 - 156.

You'll prob want the headspace in the bucket for the kraeusen, so just enjoy the tiny bit of extra alcohol and leave it at 5gal :)

So I did not think of this and added that half gallon of water I had left over...I went in to check the primary and there must have been an overflow out of the airlock...there was maybe 15ml of liquid on the lid and the airlock now has a lovely shade of golden liquid in it instead of the clear starsan. The airlock is bubbling away as well. Is this going to make the brew go bad and should I change out the airlock with a fresh one I have two extra just lying around....thanks!:mug:

So I did not think of this and added that half gallon of water I had left over...I went in to check the primary and there must have been an overflow out of the airlock...there was maybe 15ml of liquid on the lid and the airlock now has a lovely shade of golden liquid in it instead of the clear starsan. The airlock is bubbling away as well. Is this going to make the brew go bad and should I change out the airlock with a fresh one I have two extra just lying around....thanks!:mug:

The beer will be fine. You should change the airlock.

Higher mash temps lead to more unfermentable sugars, which will lead to a higher FG as the yeast can't consume unfermentable sugars.

I would suggest picking up a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer. It explains this and a lot of other essential subjects homebrewers need to know.

i see. that makes sense. thanks! I'll be picking up a copy soon. still learning all this crazy chemistry stuff. :cross:

Brewing 2.5 gallons later today. Would there be a huge difference if I mashed for 90 min instead of 60? Or would that be overkill for this recipe?

Won't really buy you anything. You could test for conversion after 60 and mash for longer if it's not done, but IMO all you're doing is adding half an hour to your brew day.

I just realized I got Cascade as whole leaf and Centennial as pellets. Will that make a huge impact? Should all hops be either leaf or pellet? Or does it not really matter? I cannot see it being a big deal. Just asking for future reference as it is too late for this batch.

Bill

Shouldn't matter. Just look at your alphas and adjust to make sure you are hitting your desired IBUs.

First all-grain batch, first time kegging.

10845686303_259d02e745_z.jpg

Turned out alright. Slight off taste in the finish, otherwise pretty much what I expected.

Note: it's not actually that dark. Crummy basement lighting.

Brewed 10 gallons of this recently ....turned out very good.
Even used some of the house Centennial hops toward the end of the boil.
4 mugs ! (out of 5) :mug: :mug:

I brewed up 11 gallons of this recently. 4 days ago, I dry hopped 5.5 gallons with pellet hops, 1oz each of cascade and cent, and the other 5.5 gallons with whole leaf hops, 1.8 oz cascade, 0.8 oz cent. This weekend I plan on kegging one, and bottling the other.

jflongo said:
I brewed up 11 gallons of this recently. 4 days ago, I dry hopped 5.5 gallons with pellet hops, 1oz each of cascade and cent, and the other 5.5 gallons with whole leaf hops, 1.8 oz cascade, 0.8 oz cent. This weekend I plan on kegging one, and bottling the other.

Nice!

I made 5 gallons dry hopped about 2 gallons with .25 oz whole cascade hops in keg it added a nice light grapefruit flavor to it. Very nice. Will be doing another batch of this soon.

Just kegged one of the fermenters, going to bottle the other one on Sunday. :mug:

I did the recipe once already and it came out fantastic, but a little less hoppy then I prefer my beers, so I just brewed a second time with these changes to the hop schedule:

.5 oz Centennial 60 min

.25 Centennial 15 min
.25 Cascade 15 min

.25 Centennial 5 min
.25 Cascade 5 min

.25 Centennial flameout
.25 Cascade flameout

Brewsmith estimated 22 IBU for the original recipe, and 30 IBU for this one, so we'll see how it turns out, it might be a little bit much for me.

I also used Wyeast 1056 with a 1L yeast starter, which I also did the first time.

This is only the second time I've tried modifying a recipe I'm hoping it turns out as planned.

Finally poured myself a glass of this today after about 5 weeks of waiting. This is the 2nd time I've brewed it and I've gotta say, it's just a really great house beer. I could drink this all night.

photo-12_zps372dfc4b.jpg

Nice! How does it taste especially compared to the original?

I like the combo alright now at about 8 weeks after brew, but I think BM hit it right on when he said the Centennial and Cascade combo takes the least amount of time to mellow out and play nicely together. The Simarillo was a little harsher for longer, and took longer to all meld together. Had a lot of earthy, almost oniony action going on for a while that eventually faded. Did another batch going back to the original hop recipe 2 weeks after I did the Simarillo, and served it at a festival about 16 days after brew and it was very well received, kicked 5 gallons in about an hour. This is my go to crowd pleaser now for festivals as it has such a quick turnaround time and broad crowd appeal. If I were to do a Simarillo again would probably toss some Centennial in there also, but the original recipe is great as is. Will probably start trying out some dry hopping the next time I brew it.

I did the recipe once already and it came out fantastic, but a little less hoppy then I prefer my beers, so I just brewed a second time with these changes to the hop schedule:

.5 oz Centennial 60 min

.25 Centennial 15 min
.25 Cascade 15 min

.25 Centennial 5 min
.25 Cascade 5 min

.25 Centennial flameout
.25 Cascade flameout

Brewsmith estimated 22 IBU for the original recipe, and 30 IBU for this one, so we'll see how it turns out, it might be a little bit much for me.

I also used Wyeast 1056 with a 1L yeast starter, which I also did the first time.

This is only the second time I've tried modifying a recipe I'm hoping it turns out as planned.

I'm sure it will be great. I made a 4 gallon batch, upping the bittering hops 25%, flavor 50%. It was very good, had some today. At first it had a strong fruity bouquet, but that mellowed.

Mine smells and tastes a lot like corn. Very similar to a Coors. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be. I think it's due to DMS? Maybe I left the lid on too long during the boil?

Back