Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow ! that is a lot of beer. You just can not beat a good mellow beer for your every day drinking especially in hot weather . I still say it needs a Chinook dry hopping or perhaps some Kent Goldings . I just like that nice fresh green smell of the hops when I take a drink .

I have really enjoyed my first batch of this. My second batch is about done in primary, and I'm going to dry hop it starting today or tomorrow, for about 5 days, then bottle.

Finally got around to brewing this recipe. Made an 11 gal batch Thursday night. OG was 1.042. Fermented on a US05 slurry at 63F and it's already done. Planning to leave it alone for 14-21 days before kegging.

Finally got around to brewing this recipe. Made an 11 gal batch Thursday night. OG was 1.042. Fermented on a US05 slurry at 63F and it's already done. Planning to leave it alone for 14-21 days before kegging.

Sounds about right for US-05! I brewed this recipe with US-05 with a 21 day primary and 3 weeks bottles and it is excellent! :rockin:

I have really enjoyed my first batch of this. My second batch is about done in primary, and I'm going to dry hop it starting today or tomorrow, for about 5 days, then bottle.

I just dry hopped this today, FG was 1.004! Wonder if that was due to the fact I washed the yeast from my first brew of this, then did a yeast starter with it, for this brew.

And crap, I should have washed the yeast again, but forgot to, oh well. Maybe next time I do this, I'll try a different yeast.

I just dry hopped this today, FG was 1.004! Wonder if that was due to the fact I washed the yeast from my first brew of this, then did a yeast starter with it, for this brew.

And crap, I should have washed the yeast again, but forgot to, oh well. Maybe next time I do this, I'll try a different yeast.

I think this would taste pretty good as a dry beer. It's already pretty BMC-ish in the body department with more flavor and a bit more hoppy bite. I'm curious how this tastes with dry hopping, that sounds like a variation I aim to try next go at this.

I think this would taste pretty good as a dry beer. It's already pretty BMC-ish in the body department with more flavor and a bit more hoppy bite. I'm curious how this tastes with dry hopping, that sounds like a variation I aim to try next go at this.

Mine dried out to about 1.004 too and it was awesome.

I will be brewing this this upcoming weekend, however my LHBS doesn't carry crystal 10, but they do have crystal 20, any suggestions on subbing with this? Should I cut the amount back a little?

I will be brewing this this upcoming weekend, however my LHBS doesn't carry crystal 10, but they do have crystal 20, any suggestions on subbing with this? Should I cut the amount back a little?

It will be fine with the 20. This is a simple and easy recipe. Will make the beer slightly darker and lend a little more caramel flavor, but thats about it honestly.

I can't help but smile when I drink this beer (it causes me to dribble down my shirt, but that is another matter). Easy to brew, tasty, inexpensive, perfect for hot weather (already looking at 90F+ through the rest of the week). BMC'ers love it, homebrewers love it, my wife loves it (she doesn't drink but she likes the fact that I can drink a lot of it without making a drunken ass out of myself).

It may not be a cure for cancer, but it is a great achievement none the less. Thanks BierMuncher!

Im about to brew this today, extract version. Do I need to steep the cara-pils, if so how long and in how much water? Is this only a 45 minute boil since the first hops are added at 45 minutes?

Im about to brew this today, extract version. Do I need to steep the cara-pils, if so how long and in how much water? Is this only a 45 minute boil since the first hops are added at 45 minutes?

If you're doing the extract recipe, yeah - just a steep for the carapils. I steep in 1.75 gallons of water, then boil, do my hop additions, and then add DME at flameout. I then add 4 gallons of chilled make-up water to the fermenter and dump it all in. Easy peasy.

Just kegged this up. Tasted a sample after 2 days on the gas. This is gonna be a great beer. It already tastes awesome! Gotta brew another 5 gallons after my mirror pond clone is finished.

I have noticed that this beer starts to taste more hoppy as it ages! I did move my late Cascade addition to flame out and it has a nice hoppy aroma to it now after 5 weeks in bottles, I can see this being a good candidate for a dry hop!

I dry hopped this with .5 oz of cascade for a 5 gallon batch. I also upped my cascade additions to .35 instead of .25

Basically turned it into a session IPA but a little maltier, very tasty

I dry hopped this with .5 oz of cascade for a 5 gallon batch. I also upped my cascade additions to .35 instead of .25

Basically turned it into a session IPA but a little maltier, very tasty

I'd call it a "Light American Pale Ale". :D

I force carbed on Tuesday and sampled it today. It has a slightly fruity scent to it--it smells a lot like wine. The flavor is pretty good but I'm sure will get better as it clarifies. I'm having people over Sunday and heres hoping it is a hit.

I force carbed on Tuesday and sampled it today. It has a slightly fruity scent to it--it smells a lot like wine. The flavor is pretty good but I'm sure will get better as it clarifies. I'm having people over Sunday and heres hoping it is a hit.

Ive noticed that before when testing it young. It had a smell but was very drinkable. In another couple days it will be perfect. Usually only happens when I use Notty and not US05.

Brewed this for party and drank it from bottles young. It had a hint of lime I'm guessing that was from the notty. I'll have to try the US05 next time.

It was an obvious hit.

This beer gets MUCH better as it ages! It would be a hit with the BMC crowd but still appealing to craft lovers. Great beer, especially for how cheap the grain/hop bill is.

Going to make another batch this weekend . using US05 . going to dry hop it with 1 ounce cascade and 1 ounce chinook.

Ive noticed that before when testing it young. It had a smell but was very drinkable. In another couple days it will be perfect. Usually only happens when I use Notty and not US05.

So the strange aroma goes away with the other strain of yeast? I want to try and crack it but I am going to wait until sunday :mug:

So the strange aroma goes away with the other strain of yeast? I want to try and crack it but I am going to wait until sunday :mug:

It goes away with age but never get the young smell with the us05. However there is a young taste with the us05 just not the off smell

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) (Hydrated)

Mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes.

[/QUOTE]

Second time brewing this ten gallon batch. All the BMC drinkers loved it last time. Went to the LHBS and they only had on packet of Nottingham left so I got a packet of BRY-97 as well. The batch and ended up at 1.044.

12 hours later it looks like this, Nottingham on right, BRY-97 on left.

Nottingham is off like a rocket but the BRY-97 is just sitting there. Anyone ever used it before?

image-770104365.jpg

Nottingham is off like a rocket but the BRY-97 is just sitting there. Anyone ever used it before?
I've never used BRY-97, but I know it has a reputation for being a very slow starter—from what I've read it's not uncommon for it to take 48-72 hours to show visible signs of fermentation.

MorningGloryBrew said:
I've never used BRY-97, but I know it has a reputation for being a very slow starter—from what I've read it's not uncommon for it to take 48-72 hours to show visible signs of fermentation.

Given that reputation, they should really update the info on the Danstar website. The two strains have virtually the same descriptors: Quick start, aggressive fermentation.

As far as:
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged, chilled and Carb'd for one week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 68 Degrees

What if I don't have a keg and I'm bottle carbonating? Can I keep it in primary for 9 days? I'm new so I probably missed details.

As far as:
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 days at 68 Degrees
Additional Fermentation: Kegged, chilled and Carb'd for one week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 68 Degrees

What if I don't have a keg and I'm bottle carbonating? Can I keep it in primary for 9 days? I'm new so I probably missed details.

That's fine though I went about 13 days in primary before I bottled.

Has anyone done a partial mash of this? Or have the recipe for it?
Give us your batch size, the lbs of grains you can mash or the lbs of extract you want to use (specify LME or DME), and your efficiency and I'm sure one of us can whip up a recipe for you.

Congrats on such a popular recipe!

I don't have access to the suggested yeast brand here. I can only get my hands on wyeast products. Can someone recommend a yeast that is comparable ?

Just brewed this up last night and it's bubbling away now. I'm not AG yet, so I went with the extract recipe and hit an OG of 1.043.

Trying to get my girlfriend to embrace my homebrew addiction, so I thought a nice summer blonde would get her excited compared to the last two (stout and IPA) I made. I'll let you know how it goes, but thanks for the great recipe!

vinylrooster said:
Just brewed this up last night and it's bubbling away now. I'm not AG yet, so I went with the extract recipe and hit an OG of 1.043.

Trying to get my girlfriend to embrace my homebrew addiction, so I thought a nice summer blonde would get her excited compared to the last two (stout and IPA) I made. I'll let you know how it goes, but thanks for the great recipe!

The extract version of this is pretty good. Tried it with my nephew as his first brew session, and it turned out fabulous. The other BM recipe you might try is the Sterling Gold. A really simple recipe (you can find the extract version) that works well for these hot summer days. For some reason, my non-HB friends have liked that one even more than the Centennial Blonde. Go easy on the pepper, though.

The extract version of this is pretty good. Tried it with my nephew as his first brew session, and it turned out fabulous. The other BM recipe you might try is the Sterling Gold. A really simple recipe (you can find the extract version) that works well for these hot summer days. For some reason, my non-HB friends have liked that one even more than the Centennial Blonde. Go easy on the pepper, though.

Thanks chemdoc, I'll have to try that one out. The bottleneck (no pun intended) in my brewing process is currently that I only have a kegerator that fits one corny, so give me a few weeks to polish off this one and I'll try out that sterling gold.

Nice name by the way, I'm a biochem graduate fellow so I'm glad to see other brewing scientists on here.

Back