Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slyko said:
I have no fing clue. My LHBS was jumping up & down about these fresh hops just off the vine. I have no idea what they are, I guess they're just the blossoms picked off the vine. He's telling me to use them immediately cuz they're super FRESH! My beer is gonna be KICK ASS!

Now what about using the rind off fresh oranges????

I guess I'll have to brew a lot of beer with 16 lbs of hops! :drunk:

Looks like you'll be getting the "wet" kind. Every year my LHBS does the same thing, trying to get people to buy these. you'll be able to tell when they arrive because they will look very green and feel "wet" like fresh flowers. Normal whole hops tend to look like dried flowers. 16 pounds is still a lot, even if you divide that by 5 or 6 to account for the water. happy brewing.

OK, OK, OK,

Since you guys have been giving me grief about this 8 lbs stuff................... I went & checked my receipt. :D

Oops! I goofed!

It's 8 oz, not 8 lbs! :eek:

Damn! I'd be brewing into next year with 16 lbs of hops!

P.S. HBT keeps you on point. :mug:

Now what about fresh orange peel? I'm sold on fresh. Fresh trumps anything & everything you buy dried, packaged, or bagged in a store. Per Beersmith: Bitter Orange Peel = Curaco Orange Peel, peels are green-gray in color. Used to add a distinctive flavor to Belgian Wits and White beers.

Anything & everything beer related can be found on HBT.

I bottled my first batch of Centennial Blonde last night and had a couple of questions for anybody who's brewed it. The hydrometer sample was nice and crisp, with a deliciously slight sweetness & hoppiness. But there was a heavy bready flavor (not exactly what I'd call malty, more of a white bread taste) component to it that I wasn't expecting.

I know it'll taste different after it's carbed and chilled, but I was just wondering if that's a flavor profile others have noticed in the beer. Either way I'm anxious to crack a couple open in a few weeks.

I bottled my first batch of Centennial Blonde last night and had a couple of questions for anybody who's brewed it. The hydrometer sample was nice and crisp, with a deliciously slight sweetness & hoppiness. But there was a heavy bready flavor (not exactly what I'd call malty, more of a white bread taste) component to it that I wasn't expecting.

I know it'll taste different after it's carbed and chilled, but I was just wondering if that's a flavor profile others have noticed in the beer. Either way I'm anxious to crack a couple open in a few weeks.

Your tasting a lot of yeast in suspension. Chill those bottles and the yeast will settle, the carbonation will lend its bite and all will be well. :mug:

Thanks for the reply... this is my 7th batch, but my first 6 were either very heavy on the hops, on the roast, or on the Belgian funk and may have masked that flavor. Thanks a lot for the recipe! :tank:

I've brewed the extract version twice. This weekend, if the rain will hold out, I will be doing the AG version as my first attempt at BIAB. I can't wait to try it out!

Fordzilla said:
I've brewed the extract version twice. This weekend, if the rain will hold out, I will be doing the AG version as my first attempt at BIAB. I can't wait to try it out!

Awesome!! This is a good recipe to start out with, nice and simple! Just remember to be patient every step of the way. I was impatient with my first couple AG batches and turned out with cloudy low FG beer.

Fordzilla said:
I've brewed the extract version this weekend, if the rain will hold out, I will be doing the AG version as my first attempt at BIAB. I can't wait to try it out!

My nephew is interested in starting to brew and I have been considering doing this as an extract with him as a "first time out." I want his first brew to be a great experience. I have a simple starter kit scrapped together from some of my gear so extract is a good place for him to start. How did you like the extract version? The AG version is great, just wondering if the extract compares.

My nephew is interested in starting to brew and I have been considering doing this as an extract with him as a "first time out." I want his first brew to be a great experience. I have a simple starter kit scrapped together from some of my gear so extract is a good place for him to start. How did you like the extract version? The AG version is great, just wondering if the extract compares.

The extract version is delicious. I've shared it with a lot of people, and all of them loved it. This includes my friends in their mid-20s who drink craft beer and my 50+ year old uncles who have a specific commercial brand they drink and they won't buy anything else.

I think it's a great recipe to get someone started brewing with, because they won't want to stop drinking it!

Fordzilla said:
The extract version is delicious. I've shared it with a lot of people, and all of them loved it. This includes my friends in their mid-20s who drink craft beer and my 50+ year old uncles who have a specific commercial brand they drink and they won't buy anything else.

I think it's a great recipe to get someone started brewing with, because they won't want to stop drinking it!

That was the plan. Get him to make an exceptional beer first try and then he will be hooked. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot and report back.

I got a lot of bread flavor when i brewed this too. It must be the notty, it was a little subdued when it dropped clear but still there. Overall good summer beer, thanks for the recipe BM. Next time i plan on trying a different yeast, maybe wlp029 or chico.

I am brewing the AG version of this BIAB as my first AG brew. I've been brewing extract for a year. For the first time ever, I screwed up the hop additions! I added cascade at 35 min & centennial at 20 min. Hopefully it wont screw things up too much. :(

I was looking forward to doing an AG/extract side by side comparison. Oh well.

It'll be fine! It will just have more hop flavor & aroma, and less hop bitterness. You probably won't even notice...

I just brewed this last night, I was shooting for the 5.5 gallons - but it appears I am a tad short, maybe 5.25 gallons - is that a problem in any way? my OG was 1.041. This morning the airlock is going berserk, non stop... I love seeing that! :)

One more question, if I plan to force carb this beer, should I let it ferment longer? and does a secondary vessel get me anything with this one? Looking forward to this beer, smelled great coming out of the airlock this morning.

No need to secondary most beers IMO. Certainly not with this one. Fermentation time should be confirmed by a hydrometer reading, not whether you're force or bottle carbing. I'd take a reading after 2 weeks & see where you stand. If down where you're happy with it, carb away!

I used this recipe as a base when adding raspberry. It turned out great! :D I've brewed this baby 5 times now!

Simply tweaked the original yeast to the Wyeast 1056 & added 40 oz. of whole raspberries! It came out very pink with a subtle taste of the fruit. Nothing overpowering like a fruit extract. Very satisfying. Very refreshing! :)

I have the Orange Blond in line next.

BM for President x3!

Going to brew ten gallons of this beer Saturday and it will be my first all grain attempt, but I have a couple of questions about what beer smith is telling me to do. I have a boil volume of 13.2 gallons with a mash of 21.56 qts. at 167.9 F and a 2 step batch sparge of 3.4 gal and 6.72 gallons ill be using a 70qt MLT. Contrary to what beer smith is telling me to do ive read that it's better to have two equal amounts between the mash and sparge water, so I'm just trying to verify which is the better method for my first batch sparge. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

Going to brew ten gallons of this beer Saturday and it will be my first all grain attempt, but I have a couple of questions about what beer smith is telling me to do. I have a boil volume of 13.2 gallons with a mash of 21.56 qts. at 167.9 F and a 2 step batch sparge of 3.4 gal and 6.72 gallons ill be using a 70qt MLT. Contrary to what beer smith is telling me to do ive read that it's better to have two equal amounts between the mash and sparge water, so I'm just trying to verify which is the better method for my first batch sparge. Any info/advice is greatly appreciated.

the sparge volume is based on the amount of water you need to get you to your preboil volume after you collect your 1st runnings. most people split the batch sparge into two equal volumes when they double batch sparge but determine the strike volume based on their desired water:grain ratio usually in the range of 1-2qts of water per pound of grain. 1.5qts/lb is a good starting point

My first keg of CB just kicked, so I guess I better plan for another (Mmmmmmm it sure was good!).

Why is it the last glass always seems the best?

I've totally switched to having session stuff on tap. After having a 6.5% the saison on tap, I found myself yearning for something like the CB. All hail the CB!

I wish time would go faster, I'm anxious to try this beer! I'll do a gravity check tomorrow (6 days post brew), and we'll see where we're at. BierMuncher, what's your opinion on secondary fermentation with this beer? Necessary or no?

I'm not Biermuncher but I have an opinion on your question. If you're kegging, I'd say a 2ndary is not needed. Bottling probably not either but you might get a little clearer if you do.

Yeah I'd say 2-3 weeks in primary, cold crash for a few days if you want clearer beer and bottle it. I remember BierMuncher saying this can be a quick brew from grain to glass. Cheers!

I love this beer. I can only fit one keg in my kegerator at a time so if I have a few friends over and they drink a bunch of my brew and the next batch won't be ready for a while I cook up a CB and its ready to go in 10 days. (Either CB or EdWorts Bavarian Hefe).

I have done about 140 gallons of the CB. We all like it and I am doing about 30 gal's up for hunting season here in the south. I have played with it some by reversing the order the hops go in and it was great either way with the correct way still being popular as you'd think but most pallets couldn't distinguish the difference. What I'm curious about is those people that are "ready to go" in 10 days. I generally leave mine in the fermenter for around 9 days and it has always guaranteed 1.010FG. I then keg it up, (I do 10 gal batches and my kegerator holds 3 5gal kegs) and cold crash it for a week. I stopped using bio finings as I got some that put a bad taste in my beer and I lost 20 gallons. I do have a filtering setup but refrain from using it.

My question/observation is even after cold crashing for a week my CB still hasn't cleared like I'd like and still tastes a little "new". If I give it 2.5 weeks, it's absolutely perfect. I was wondering what others are doing to bring this to the ultimate palatability stage so quickly. I observe the correct fermentation temp's and keep my kegerator at around 36 degrees. Any suggestions? This and Ed Worts has become a staple with me making the seasonals for conversation pieces...LOL.

I have done about 140 gallons of the CB. We all like it and I am doing about 30 gal's up for hunting season here in the south. I have played with it some by reversing the order the hops go in and it was great either way with the correct way still being popular as you'd think but most pallets couldn't distinguish the difference. What I'm curious about is those people that are "ready to go" in 10 days. I generally leave mine in the fermenter for around 9 days and it has always guaranteed 1.010FG. I then keg it up, (I do 10 gal batches and my kegerator holds 3 5gal kegs) and cold crash it for a week. I stopped using bio finings as I got some that put a bad taste in my beer and I lost 20 gallons. I do have a filtering setup but refrain from using it.

My question/observation is even after cold crashing for a week my CB still hasn't cleared like I'd like and still tastes a little "new". If I give it 2.5 weeks, it's absolutely perfect. I was wondering what others are doing to bring this to the ultimate palatability stage so quickly. I observe the correct fermentation temp's and keep my kegerator at around 36 degrees. Any suggestions? This and Ed Worts has become a staple with me making the seasonals for conversation pieces...LOL.

Maybe look into using a more flocculant yeast like WLP002 or WLP007? If you ferment with these yeasts in the lower 60s for the first couple of days and then let it ramp up, they will finish quick and the yeast will drop out REAL quick. Especially if you cold crash.

I use wlp001 and cold crash for about a week, filter, keg and carb. After a couple days in the keg it is crystal clear!

I do use irish moss for the last 20 mins of every batch as well, never had a problem with it. I keep it in the freezer with my hops.

I have brewed about 30 gallons of a variant of this recipe using CTZ ( I have a bunch of it) and dry hopping with Cascade. While I prefer IPA's, it is a great summer beer and a huge hit with the neighbors. I recently brought a 5 gallon keg to our neighborhood Labor Day block party and have requests to supply beer for our next tailgating party in October. Thanks for the great recipe!

I think where I may be screwing up is that I carb, keg & cold crash at the same time. Typically on "Keg Day" I go ahead and pressurize the keg and then put it in the cold crash freezer or kegerator. After about a week, I'll bleed it down to the correct pressure and hook it into the system and, of course, have me a little taste and check the clarity. At this point it's still cloudy. After another week it begins to clear some but at about 3 weeks it does it's thing and all is well. I will be brewing this weekend and I'm going to skip the advance carbing and just cold crash to see if that helps. Thanks for the ideas.

I normally ferment for 7 days, then transfer to secondary and dry hop for another 7 days. On the 6th day in the secondary, I throw it in the keezer and cold crash overnight, then transfer to the keg and force carb on the 7th day. It is drinkable immediately after force carbing, but normally tastes better after a couple days. Every batch has come out crystal clear.

I just opened my first bottle of this after 17 days in the bottle. This was my second brew. I brewed this one while i was waiting for my chimay red clone to finish fermenting.

It was clear and very easy to drink. This batch was an extract, next batch will be biab ag.

Back