Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After one week I'm down to like 1.05-06. Yikes. Airlock activity was done after day 3.

I had some wort volume issues at the end and decided to add 1/2 gallon of water, so I'm sure that's my low FG problem. It's still cloudy so I'm considering leaving it another week... Bad idea?

After one week I'm down to like 1.05-06. Yikes. Airlock activity was done after day 3.

I had some wort volume issues at the end and decided to add 1/2 gallon of water, so I'm sure that's my low FG problem. It's still cloudy so I'm considering leaving it another week... Bad idea?

Leave it another week. Rack to a secondary for 3-4 days with gelatin and it'll clear up nicely.

I just brewed myself, quite excited to drink it! My hops were a bit low on the AA side, so i changed the first cascade addition to 0.5 oz (for a 5g batch). Also added an extra pound of 2 row for a little more alcohol. I just chilled and put in the fermenter, OG of 1.049 or so, and smelling just lovely! I used the Safale 05, im sure it will turn out pretty damn good!

Thanks for such an easy and supposedly tasty recipe BM, I look forward to drinking it!

this will my first AG brew and just ordered the grains and such. my question is, austin homebrew had Centennial "Type" hops, which is a mix of 30% Columbus and 70% Cascade.

do you think this would alter the taste?(as far as getting close to the orignal calls for)

Austin Homebrew Supply

this will my first AG brew and just ordered the grains and such. my question is, austin homebrew had Centennial "Type" hops, which is a mix of 30% Columbus and 70% Cascade.

do you think this would alter the taste?(as far as getting close to the orignal calls for)

Austin Homebrew Supply

It should get you close to the "spirit" of the beer. This isn't an overly hopped beer so that mix will work just fine.

I transferred my second batch of this to secondary Sunday. My original brew day did not go as well as some. After an 80 minute mash, the temperature was down to 145. Fitting with the lower mash temp, the gravity reading when I moved it to secondary was 1.003! The hydrometer sample still tasted awesome though. A little gelatin in the secondary and it was crystal clear 24 hours later!

I think this will balance well with the irish red and stout that I'll have tapped for our party next weekend.

It should get you close to the "spirit" of the beer. This isn't an overly hopped beer so that mix will work just fine.

thanks! ill be getting the grain bills and such tomm and will be brewing it on sat!

also, another question...how long should i ferment it? (primary, and if needed, secondary and bottling)

I am going to brew this beer most likely in the next week or so. I gotta try a beer that has 37 pages written about it. I have read ALL of them. I am brewing extract as this is my 2nd brew. I took the numbers that BM gave for a 5.5 gallon extract batch and put them in Brewsmith. His boil size for the 5.5 gallon batch is 6.57 gallons. I am looking to brew a 5.5 gallon batch with a 2.5 gallon boil. This is what Beersmith came out with after I converted BM extract recipe.

5 lb. Extra Light Dry Extract

1 lb. Cara Pils

.42 oz. Centennial 45 min

.42 oz. Centennial 20 min

.42 Cascade 10 min

.42 Cascade 5 min

1 pks Nottingham

Since I am so new to brewing, does this sound about right? Or would I be better off taking his numbers from the original recipe for 10 gallons all grain on page 1 of this thread and then converting it in Beersmith?

Thanks for any input.

I am going to brew this beer most likely in the next week or so. I gotta try a beer that has 37 pages written about it. I have read ALL of them. I am brewing extract as this is my 2nd brew. I took the numbers that BM gave for a 5.5 gallon extract batch and put them in Brewsmith. I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch with a 2.5 gallon boil. This is what Beersmith came out with after I converted BM extract recipe.

5 lb. Extra Light Dry Extract

1 lb. Cara Pils

.42 oz. Centennial 45 min

.42 oz. Centennial 20 min

.42 Cascade 10 min

.42 Cascade 5 min

1 pks Nottingham

Since I am so new to brewing, does this sound about right? Or would I be better off taking his numbers from the original recipe for 10 gallons all grain on page 1 of this thread and then converting it in Beersmith?

Thanks for any input.

cant say if the numbers look right or not, but on the first post, theres a 5gallon receipe below the 10gallon receipe.

cant say if the numbers look right or not, but on the first post, theres a 5gallon receipe below the 10gallon receipe.

But I am assuming that his 5 and 10 gallon recipes are for all grain with a 6.57 gallon boil.

I am looking for an extract with steeping grain recipe for a 5.5 gallon batch with a 2.5-2.75 gallon boil size.

I think I am right with my numbers but I want to find out for sure from some of the veterans before I go out and buy my ingrediants.

Quick ? for ya BM. I did my first all grain with this recipe, and I brewed it on 3/1... but am going out of town on the 15th... should I just give it 3 weeks in the primary then bottle? (Bottle on the 21st when I get back)

This is looking great after two weeks. Measured gravity so far is 1.013. Used Nottingham for both this and the 3 Crop. I hope that's a good thing - I'm still trying to learn gravity readings.

SWMBO loves it - clear and tastes like Baltika #3. I liked the taste as well for a light dinner refreshment. Can't wait to carb it and drink up. I think I'll use some gelatin before going into the keg.

Any advice on how long I should leave it in the secondary? We're planning on drinking it on 3/14 for our St. Paddy's party with three other brews - BM 3 Crop Cream, Dog Spit Stout Clone, Irish Red (Kilkenny Clone). I plan on force carbing sometime next Wednesday or so.

DSC00131.JPG

Yeah that's an older 6.5 gallon CB I got back when I first started homebrewing. It's definitely odd shaped and has the opening size of a 5 Gallon too...

Q2XL,

I think you can get a good 5.5-gal batch using a partial boil with this:

Late Extract Addition
Steep Cara Pils for 30 min at 160 deg F - try using 1-1.5 gallons of water for this

Partial Boil: 2.5 gallons
Evap loss assumed : 0.5 gallons

Add 1.5 lbs DME at start of boil (60 min)
Add 0.25 oz Centennial (50 min)
Add 0.25 oz Centennial (20 min)
Add 0.25 oz Cascade (10 min)
Add 0.25 oz Cascade (5 min)

Add 4 lbs DME (2 min or at flameout) - let rest at high temp a few minutes to pasteurize and then cool rapidly.

This would get you 5.5 gallons with an OG = 1.041 and about 18 IBUs

I'm going to also do this with a 3.5-gallon boil and will adjust this schedule slightly to accomodate. Note that with 5.5 gallons you need 5.5 lbs of DME to get an OG = 1.04 or so. Or you can stick with 5 lbs and have a lighter version (OG around 1.038).

Add both additions of Centennial 10 minutes earlier each to achieve 20 IBUs.

This has probably been answered, but I didn't want to wade through 38 pages! Does anybody have a mash schedule on this, I know 150 for 60 minutes, but I was wondering on numbers and temps for mash out and sparge amounts. I mash 1.33 quarts per lb, but I am still unclear on the other numbers. Thanks for the help!

Q2XL,

I think you can get a good 5.5-gal batch using a partial boil with this:

Late Extract Addition
Steep Cara Pils for 30 min at 160 deg F - try using 1-1.5 gallons of water for this

Partial Boil: 2.5 gallons
Evap loss assumed : 0.5 gallons

Add 1.5 lbs DME at start of boil (60 min)
Add 0.25 oz Centennial (50 min)
Add 0.25 oz Centennial (20 min)
Add 0.25 oz Cascade (10 min)
Add 0.25 oz Cascade (5 min)

Add 4 lbs DME (2 min or at flameout) - let rest at high temp a few minutes to pasteurize and then cool rapidly.

This would get you 5.5 gallons with an OG = 1.041 and about 18 IBUs

I'm going to also do this with a 3.5-gallon boil and will adjust this schedule slightly to accomodate. Note that with 5.5 gallons you need 5.5 lbs of DME to get an OG = 1.04 or so. Or you can stick with 5 lbs and have a lighter version (OG around 1.038).

Add both additions of Centennial 10 minutes earlier each to achieve 20 IBUs.

Thanks!. I think that I may try that as I am brewing on Sunday the 8th.

never mind the question...had more problems then the temp. when sparging, it kept getting stuck...so seems like i screw up this beer BIG time. my gravity reading is .029~30

ps, i used .25lbs of carapils(long story short, my friend dumped the grain into the HLT instead of the MLT.

looks like i got something else, will keep you guys posted in a few weeks.

I just brewed the extract version. I have excellent access to Perle hops, so I went all Perle.

I'll post back once I've tried it.

Such a great, simple recipe concept. Thank you!

Just bottled my all-perle extract version. I had a short-fill, so I cooled it off and tried it. Just as I said before, a great, simple recipe!

Can't wait for a bit of carbonation!

BTW, I used half carapils (Belgian, about 10l) and half dextrine. Turned out good.

What are other extract brewers using?

Bottled some of this three weeks ago. In fact I made two batches a week apart. Had some buddies over today and cracked a few and WOW!!! Great recipe. Thanks.

We will obviously need pics of said party to indeed prove that A) You are a homebrewer and B) ...uh...what was I saying?

Nevermind...carry on....:cross: :drunk:

The blonde was definitely a hit at the party. Especially with those who didn't want something darker. Unfortunately I did a lot of sampling myself and my skills for using a camera quickly deteriorated. Crown Reserve and Jaeger may be partially to blame. My wife got a few pictures, but they were all after 1 am and I'm not sure I should post them. :tank:

I brewed this 2 weeks ago and took my first reading today. I then sampled it and I can say is wow was it good! Only 2 weeks in the fermenter...warm and flat and this was already very good. Another 1-2 weeks fermenting and 3-4 weeks bottled and it should taste really good. Just in time for summer.

I looked thru most of this thread but I cant find a partial mash recipe. Sorry if there was one posted and I missed it.

Finally got around to this today.....

Anyway, I sub'd the Centennials with Sorachi Ace. This is my last attempt to make the SWMBO something she'll actually drink. I figured the lemony Sorachi and the grapefruity Cascade will hopefully play out into something she likes. She wasn't a big fan of my Centennial Pale Ale.......

Will advise.

Ok so this is my first go at converting an AG recipe to PM so let me know how this looks.
5 gallon batch

3.25 lbs Pale Malt (2-row) US
.75 lbs Cara Pils/Dextrin
.50 lbs Caramel/Crystal 10 L
.50 lbs Vienna Malt
2.81 lbs Extra Light LME

I will keep the hop schedule the same and mash with 6.25 quarts (5lbs grain @ 1.25qrts per LB) @ 150 for an hour.

How did I do?

Since I didn't get any feed back on my PM recipe I just brewed it last night. It seems to have turned out just fine. My OG was 1.042-44 @ around 70 degrees. I also used 2lbs 7.05oz of DME instead of LME.

I am really looking forward to seeing how it turns out. My sample cleared up really nice and was really light and gold.

:mug:

Is it ok to add whirlfloc to this recipe? I am in the process of beginning the boil right now so a quick response would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I used 2 whirlfloc tablets @ 20 mins. When I took the gravity it was increadibly clear. I wonder if i should have just used one tablet. Are there any adverse effects to using too much whirlfloc? BTW this was a 10 gal. batch. It looks awesome right now, I can't wait to get this kegged. :mug:

Thanks for the info. I used 2 whirlfloc tablets @ 20 mins. When I took the gravity it was increadibly clear. I wonder if i should have just used one tablet. Are there any adverse effects to using too much whirlfloc? BTW this was a 10 gal. batch. It looks awesome right now, I can't wait to get this kegged. :mug:

2 tablets for 10 gallons is right. 1 per 5.

Back