Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right Hook!

hersh-mar-67925.jpg

I should have named a few of my brews the "Cat Hair IPA" because that's pretty much what's in them.

This is one way to fill up a small, empty Amazon box.
The box is 8"x8"x4" and sitting in one of my collapsible mesh chairs, so it gives you an idea of the size.
With Itty Bitty Kitty around, there was no mousie gonna get my grain. After seven years, she's gone now and I miss her.
Worm-ridden, an eye infection, and sick the shelter was going to euthanize her. No one wanted her and when I found out, she went home with me the same day.

mskty.jpg

This is one way to fill up a small, empty Amazon box.
The box is 8"x8"x4" and sitting in one of my collapsible mesh chairs, so it gives you an idea of the size.
With Itty Bitty Kitty around, there was no mousie gonna get my grain. After seven years, she's gone now and I miss her.
Worm-ridden, an eye infection, and sick the shelter was going to euthanize her. No one wanted her and when I found out, she went home with me the same day.

Thank you for taking her in and giving her seven good years! :rockin: What a pretty girl.

I love animals, cats particularly. It's something about how they carry themselves and mannerisms ... the predatory nature under the veneer of domestication.
...and the don't-give-a-f*ck attitude. LOL
Matter of fact, the Little Cat's still with me. Her remains got cremated and sit close by where I sleep every night. Out of sentimentality and an odd quirk instilled by the military, I'd feel guilty burying her because it would feel like leaving her behind.
She'd follow me like a small shadow. Through the house, around the yard, to the bathroom and even the shower. I liked her company and keeping her remains seems like an odd way of keeping her around. If that seems weird, well that's fine with me.

I love animals, cats particularly. It's something about how they carry themselves and mannerisms ... the predatory nature under the veneer of domestication.
...and the don't-give-a-f*ck attitude. LOL
Matter of fact, the Little Cat's still with me. Her remains got cremated and sit close by where I sleep every night. Out of sentimentality and an odd quirk instilled by the military, I'd feel guilty burying her because it would feel like leaving her behind.
She'd follow me like a small shadow. Through the house, around the yard, to the bathroom and even the shower. I liked her company and keeping her remains seems like an odd way of keeping her around. If that seems weird, well that's fine with me.

I totally get it. All my "departed" pets are cremated and in the living room in a special niche in the armoire. I couldn't bury them.

When my old girl Lucky passed at age 22, KOTC and I agreed - no more pets for at least 6 months. Well that lasted two weeks - TOO quiet in the house, even though Lucky was pretty much deaf and blind, I spoke to her all the time. I went to the SPCA and got Tequila and St. Pauli Girl (already named by SPCA staff!) and while they in no way take the place of Lucky, they have helped heal the hole in my heart left when she died. I think she'd approve, knowing that without at least ONE cat in the house, my life seemed emptier!

Yes, there's always space in my house for cats. After having animals in the house it's strange being without them.
There are two others to keep us company, both brothers and part Nebelungen - a longhaired breed of gray. The fat one of the pair likes to sleep with me and will sometimes "yell" at me to join him when I come home.

Bad cat joke ... where does a 22lb. cat sleep? Wherever he damned well pleases, and usually in a most inconvenient spot.

This is ToTo's sister Lucky - so named because as a very young feral kitten, she survived a trip through the fanbelt of my truck. At her finest, she weighed six pounds. She always had runny eyes. She didn't let it slow her down though - she was an extraordinary mouser supreme!

Both these girls were part of a "gang" of feral cats when I bought my new house. The next door neighbor was a fisherman and he threw out the heads and other fish parts for the cats to eat. I got ahold of the Animal Control gal who brought out humane traps for me, we trapped the whole gang, they were all transported to SPCA for spaying/neutering, she brought me back the two kittens and took the rest out to a ranch where the owner allowed the ferals to be dropped off to live out their lives ridding his barn of rodents.

ToTo lived to 16, Lucky to 22.

lucky.jpg

Sorry I've been lax, I should update how our new crew is doing. The sisters Kinky and Half Pint will be a year old the first of May and Bella is coming up on 4 months. Quick recap that K and HP's mom was malnourished during pregnancy which resulted in both being deaf with Kinky being a runt at 4.5 lbs so far. None of which changes how much we love and enjoy them, just how we interact with them. Bella at 4 months is already the size of Kinky and gaining on HP.

Entertainment wise this crew is priceless! Not an evening goes by that the wife and I don't pause the tv just to watch the cat follies. This is one of the few slow moments during the day.

The Crew.jpg

Our Hulda had some trouble with her teeth again. The top canine on her left side had started to move and got on the wrong side of her bottom canine and pushed it off course as well. This caused the tooth to go on top of her cheek and poked a small hole there. We got her to the vet and they X-rayed her jaw and removed both canines on her left side.

This was caused by her bad gums, which sometimes allow teeth to move or get infected. Our vet has been monitoring and checking up on her teeth so nothing serious has time to develop. This will probably lead to her losing all her teeth before long. This is a common problem with Levkois and other related breeds.

g2BGAjM.jpg

When we moved into our house just over two years ago our cat, Lucifer, decided he wanted to be an indoor/outdoor cat. Every time we opened a door he would be right there waiting and bolt outside, at first we tried to stop it but that just made him more eager and would continuously meow throughout the house until we let him out (or he found a way out) so we start to just let him out. He thanked us by leaving beheaded birds and rodents on our front porch. He would go out regardless of the weather, usually for a day or two, but has been up to 2 weeks, before he would come home and relax before his next escapade.

Towards the end of January, he went out and has not come back. We look for him as we are driving to and from our house, to see if he is lurking around the neighborhood, or perhaps on the side of the road or in a ditch but nothing… Driving to work this past Monday morning, I swear I saw him, roughly 2 miles from our house, strutting in a driveway (he has a very arrogant strut about him), I didn’t stop for a number of reasons; it was early and my brain wasn’t processing quickly, there wasn’t anywhere to pull off, he is not a cat you can catch easily outside, that and you know was a chance that it was some family’s cat that I would be attempting to “catnap”. I have not seen him since, but I hope it was him making his way back to our house, mostly for my wife’s sake, she literally watched him be born, they have a very special bond, he would lick her arm until she fell asleep kind of stuff. I think the saddest part is that it’s been 5-6 weeks and she still leaves the front porch light on for him every night…

We had to say goodbye to our sweet Joey this Monday after only three weeks since adopting him. Last Tuesday we noticed he wasnt eating or pooping and took him to the vet. Fast forward 5 days and we were force feeding him and he was sleeping 23.75hrs per day. We got the diagnosis back from the vet that it was FIP. Im gonna miss that little kitty so much :(

@Sillybilly ,I hope Lucifer is ok and finds his way home.

@Kev221 , So sorry to hear about Joey. I will raise my first pint to him tonight.

We love them while they are here and cry like babies when we lose them.

We had to say goodbye to our sweet Joey this Monday after only three weeks since adopting him. Last Tuesday we noticed he wasnt eating or pooping and took him to the vet. Fast forward 5 days and we were force feeding him and he was sleeping 23.75hrs per day. We got the diagnosis back from the vet that it was FIP. Im gonna miss that little kitty so much :(

Oh I am so sorry!! It doesn't matter how long they've been with you, they get their claws into your heart and losing them is so painful. :(

Yep, it's never easy. Sorry for your loss, @kev211, and @SillyBilly, I hope Lucifer either comes back, or is doing well with another family.

This thread has taken a depressing turn; more cat photos, please!

This thread has taken a depressing turn; more cat photos, please!
We come here not only to smile at silly cat photos and antics, but to help others with their loss. We've all been on both sides of the fence. One is filled with smiles and laughter the other.......well.......it friggin sux regardless if you've had them only 3 weeks or 17 years. We tell ourselves that we're not going through that pain again, but eventually we get another pet. We can't help it we're softies.

Hope this video comes though and gets this thread swinging back the other way. Our good friend and Sphynx breeder took this video. The Doberman in Nubus the cat is Bella the mother or our new kitten by the same name. Often Bella will climb up and just sit on his back while we're standing around in the kitchen.

View attachment trim.315C8C4B-A387-4115-961F-A96778222B77.MOV

Threads on beer, wine, food, dogs, and cats. Get close with a good charity and I think we're a few military appreciation threads and a thread with attractive women away from competing with theChive.

We come here not only to smile at silly cat photos and antics, but to help others with their loss. We've all been on both sides of the fence.

No, I know, my comment was partly tongue-in-cheek, part sincere. I was trying to lighten the mood a little because honestly, those last couple of stories seriously tugged at my heartstrings. I can appreciate the cathartic benefits of sharing such stories (I did so myself earlier in this thread), and I certainly didn't mean to discourage people from sharing their grief or seeking support. I was just hoping for some happier posts to balance things out a little. :)

No, I know, my comment was partly tongue-in-cheek, part sincere. I was trying to lighten the mood a little because honestly, those last couple of stories seriously tugged at my heartstrings. I can appreciate the cathartic benefits of sharing such stories (I did so myself earlier in this thread), and I certainly didn't mean to discourage people from sharing their grief or seeking support. I was just hoping for some happier posts to balance things out a little. :)

Im gonna interject here as the middle man, I dont think Inkleg was calling you/anyone out for being insincere or otherwise. i think he was just driving a point home. I can appreciate both the happy, goofy pics and the stories of loss, because we have all been on both sides, so we can all relate. I chuckled at your post about happy pictures and Inklegs warmed my heart, so everyones post has its benefits. you guys are great! :mug::)

@kombat , I'd like to apologize. I can see where quoting you made my post come across wrong and that was not my intention. I totally understood that you meant no disrespect to those that lost their pets and that others posting cute and silly pictures could help with their healing.
@kev211 , thanks you wrote it better than I could have.

Here's a silly cat picture. Our newest kitten has a good bit of hair on her tail for a Sphynx. This is was happens to it when she meets the 100 pound Doberman grand puppy fot the first time. Instant bottle brush.

IMG_0054.JPG

Back