Categorizing fruit beer. Help judges!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnord

don't see me
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an apricot ale I would like to enter into a competition but I'm not certain about the information required. I dont find "THE ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF FRUIT(S) USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., “PORTER” OR “WHEAT ALE” IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF FRUIT(S) MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED" clear at all, it actually reads a bit contradictory to me, though it sounds like I need to include a general description of the underlying beer.

Is American Ale sufficient? overall it isn't bitter or hoppy enough to say APA. I do see "These components (especially hops) may also be intentionally subdued to allow the fruit character to come through in the final presentation" which should make that safe. It isn't dark or sweet enough for me to consider and amber or brown, but I feel safer listing American Ale than APA. Or am I okay not even providing that? "If this beer is based on a classic style ... then the specific style must be specified" sounds like I might not need to except that the sentence before says I must specify it.

Thank you,

-Confused. :confused:

Back