Cat in Christmas Tree Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boleslaus

Reaction score
This year is my first year with a cat and first year with my own tree. It took him a week, but the cat is now camped out in the tree. My phone just died, but I'll post a picture soon. He was manageable before, but now he's just getting on my nerves every 5 minutes. Anyone else suffering through cat induced hell the holiday season?

A steady supply of Anchor Christmas Ale and home-brewed southern english brown ale seems to help.

edit: Not the best pic.

IMAG0512

2 cats, one dog, and a 6-year-old.

house rules:
nothing breakable below 4 ft
nothing with sentimental value below 4 ft
tree shall not be plugged in when not directly supervised

i predict we will still have issues.

maybe my cats just don't like to climb, but it might be a distraction thing. I give them a soft skirt to lay on, make sure the stand is full enough on water for them to drink, and make sure there is enough ribbon on the presents for them to play with.

So far so good. My wife was very adamant that something be done to stabilize the tree before we started decorating. But I'm lazy.

So far it's been two days and as far as I know the cats have not done anything other than chew on the branches. I'm surprised they haven't climbed right up in there, but whatever.

I know that it's going to be me who fixes the problem when it happens and it's a chance I'm willing to take.

So far so good. My wife was very adamant that something be done to stabilize the tree before we started decorating. But I'm lazy.

So far it's been two days and as far as I know the cats have not done anything other than chew on the branches. I'm surprised they haven't climbed right up in there, but whatever.

I know that it's going to be me who fixes the problem when it happens and it's a chance I'm willing to take.

That's how mine started. First laying on the tree skirt all day, then chewing all the needles off low hanging branches, then playing with the ornaments, now climbing right up in there.

Our cats are almost 4 years old but this is our first year with decorations. Surprisingly they've left everything alone, including tree, lights, garland, bows, etc

welcome to the club. I'm not going to even bother with ornaments this year. It's only a matter of time until the tree comes down.
IMG_20111129_185606.jpg

these pictures are great. I didnt know cats camped out in xmas trees.

In 7 years our cats have never gotten or even tried to get in the tree. There is no way it would support their fat asses if they tried though. They do like to remove everything within their reach from the bottom though.

We had 2 cats for years (16 and 19.5 when they moved on). One only liked to take the fluffy lamb-shaped ornament off the tree - we would find it all over the house. The other would regularly climb the tree (up the inside next to the trunk) when he was younger. We would tie off the tree to both ends of the curtain rod over the picture window where the tree stood. As he got older he simply napped under the tree dreaming of his younger days. He would also get up on the French doors between the living and family rooms and pat you on the head when you walked by...

You'd be surprised. The cat weights 12 lbs. and our tree is pretty flimsy, but he just gets right up in there.

not in the tree, not yet, but camped out in the dinner table centerpiece, yes. . . lurking

375486_10150457099789265_649764264_8345484_530411496_n.jpg

2 cats, one dog, and a 6-year-old.

house rules:
nothing breakable below 4 ft
nothing with sentimental value below 4 ft
tree shall not be plugged in when not directly supervised

i predict we will still have issues.
You may want to add "no candy canes" to that. Our first Christmas with our cat we made that mistake. We couldn't figure out why Vinnie was tearing around the apartment with his pupils dialated full bore. Then we saw a couple chewed wrappers on the floor.

One of ours was in the lower branches yesterday. Probably only a matter of time. We still have to put on the decorations.

I broke open a box that had an LCD TV wall mount to start putting it together (Need to build an adapter to fit our odd Samsung bolt pattern). The two cats were TEARING around that box like crazies!

Those things are too cute. I'll have to build a kitty playground with boxes this christmas. For our enjoyment.

Just don't use tinsel on your trees. During my cats first xmas as a kid, my parents didn't realize the cat would chew on. She wound up getting it stuck in her throat. I had reach down with my hands and pulled it out. Yuck, but she lived a nice long life after that (passed away when was 15).

Devon said:
You may want to add "no candy canes" to that. Our first Christmas with our cat we made that mistake. We couldn't figure out why Vinnie was tearing around the apartment with his pupils dialated full bore. Then we saw a couple chewed wrappers on the floor.

I'd forgotten people even put candy canes on trees. ;)
The candy canes are stashed away to prevent the six year old from "tearing around the house with [her] pupils dialated full bore"

My sister in law gets pretty good results with spraying the inner sections of the branches on the lower half of the tree with one of those orange oil cleaners and then suspending orange and lemon peel with twist ties on the inner part of the branches. She used to use a "liquid fence" type product, but the spray with a high concentration of orange oil seems to do the job.

Just don't use tinsel on your trees. During my cats first xmas as a kid, my parents didn't realize the cat would chew on. She wound up getting it stuck in her throat. I had reach down with my hands and pulled it out. Yuck, but she lived a nice long life after that (passed away when was 15).

If they manage to get it down you have even more fun later when they try, erm, expelling it out the other end. They end up with poo (not the bear) hanging out of their rear, like Christmas lights, tearing around the house freaking out.

This is awesome. The damn cat just eats the fake pine needles from the tree, but she's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

This is awesome. The damn cat just eats the fake pine needles from the tree, but she's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Oddly, cats need greens in their diets for digestion ... this is how they were built and what they do in the wild. For Christmas get your cat a small plot of grass to be kept and grown indoors in a window.
Eating fake pine needles can equal large vet bills.

Late last night I saw a commercial for a Chia pet cat-grass thingamajig. It grows cat grass. In the commercial it was a damn bushy forest of it but I wonder what it looks like in real life. I have gotten cat grass from the farmer's market before. Never have been sure if it's a real thing or I'm getting ripped off by some guy selling sod.

I think any grass works but something called "oat grass" is supposedly what "cat grass" is. When cats are outdoors they don't go thru the trouble of obtaining oat grass (excuse me, is that oat grass you have there? ... grey poupon?)

Our cat thought that wild cats needed tinsel in their diet........

It was sad but funny seeing tinsel hanging out of her butt....(sorry, no camers phone back then;))

......and yes, she did bring the tree crashing down.

I've been coming home to more and more oddly bent branches over the past week, but so far the tree is still standing.

This is actually my Christmas card this year, courtesy of last year. She was ~10 weeks old.

IMG_0488.JPG

Latest posts

Back