Cat Attack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
So this is a new one for me. Had the 3787 smack pack on the counter warming up and getting ready to pitch into a 1 quart starter. Came upstairs and found the smack pack on the floor full of puncture holes from I’m assuming claws and teeth, yeast seeping out all over. I pitched into the starter anyway because I have no choice if I’m gonna keep my brew schedule. Fingers crossed. FYI the cat is still with us but is down to about 2 lives left.

1614662508770.png

his cat

one time I was ready to start brewing...so I smacked the smack pack.
I didn't understand the schematic very well and it exploded onto the wall.
I wasn't about to scrape it off...so I went and got a spare packet of dry yeast I had.
Did I mention it's a good idea to have spare packets around? 😑🤣

I hope you at least sprayed some sanitizer on it, before pitching. ;)

How much yeast do you think was lost? 1/4? 1/2?
Depending on your beer, you may need to do a 2nd step-up.
When are you brewing?

Last edited:
Wait, I thought this was about a cat. Mine (Clancy - no balls any more but definitely not female) has punctured me on occasion, but has never interfered with brewing (or drinking) beer.

I hope the yeast in the packet wasn't harmed.

I hope you at least sprayed some sanitizer on it, before pitching. ;)

How much yeast do you think was lost? 1/4? 1/2?
Depending on your beer, you may need to do a 2nd step-up.
When are you brewing?
I over sanitized if there is such a thing! Probably lost 1/8ish. Brewing tomorrow morning so I’m probably just going to go with it as is and hope I don’t have an infected underpitch! With my experience 3787 is a beast so hopefully it’s out-battling any other critters that might have been introduced.

Unfortunately I don’t have quick access to more yeast. I just contacted a local brewery to see if they can help. Last year they very generously gave me some lager slurry when I was in a pinch. In fact, I’m still using that yeast!

Cats bury their poo with the paws that just scratched your yeast pack open...... And now you are propagating whatever made their way from the poo scratchy claws into the starter.

Grab a pack of us05 instead.

Wait. I thought cat piss was a feature rather than a bug. It certainly is in New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Or do I have it mixed up with "skunked"? Right idea, wrong mammal. Is that what 'they' mean by "Catty"?

Brooo Brother

From personal experience, I can tell you that some cats are attracted to plasticized packaging - they want to chew on it. Don't know why.

Hey, the worst thing that happens is you brew another batch. This one might turn out fine, no reason not to wait and see.

Edit: I read too fast - you haven't pitched into the beer yet, just the starter. In that case, I would wait for new yeast.

I am just thinking about the look of my father's arm, two weeks after a tiny scratch from his cat. All swollen, full of puss, heavily infected. A few weeks of antibiotics and the hole in the flesh looked like he had just been shot into the arm. I don't know what type of bacteria cause this, but I wouldn't want to have them in my starter which basically has everything for all types of microbes to multiply. Oxygen, food, no hops......

Not trying to scare you but a cats mouth has tons of nasty bacteria. My dogs get in fights with the neighborhood cats all the time ( they never seem to win the fight but thats a whole different story). the cat bites almost always get infected and its a trip to the vet for cleaning and antibiotics

Ok I finally decided to dump the yeast. Overnighted 2 smack packs of 3787 (not friggin cheap!) in order to stay on schedule. Get a cat they said. The kids will love it. 😡🤬

Not to be melodramatic here but we most likely just saved your life, next rounds on you. haha

Back