Cascadian Tart Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpr89

Reaction score
Woah folks. Check this out. I'm thinking of a great idea.

2 row base
Wheat
Maybe Light crystal
~1.040-1.050

Mash at 150 or so.

Low bittering addition of some American "c" hop.
~10-15ibus

Pitch lacto 3 or 4 days before you pitch something like wyeast 1332 "nw ale " or American II.

Rack onto some Rainer cherries for a week or 2.

I think it would be a delightful, tart, Berliner weisse inspired brew. Any thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Indeed a great idea- I like the name!

Be careful the pH doesn't drop so low as to stifle the sacc- you could always use some brett brux trois for some clean fruitiness if you want the pH to go really low.

Depending on the lacto you use...save those American C hops for a dry hop :)

Keep us posted!

Good call on the dry hop. I was considering Brett., but I'm concerned it would take a bit too long. A Brett, lacto ferm would be awesome. Just skip the sacc.

Or save a gallon or 2 to get a big sacc. "starter" going then top up the lacto vessel.

Who knows! So many possibilities!

What do you think? Arrest the lactic action with a boil or let them both go, with a lacto head start ?

I like the idea of letting the lacto go for a day or two, post boil, and let the sacc/brett go afterwards. There are some sacc strains that won't stress out on the low pH. You'd be surprised how quickly brett can finish- that is if you pitch enough. So I'd vote against arresting the lacto action w/ a boil. I'd also be thinking about what to do w/ the cake for the next round- before cooler fall temps approach!

I've got to ask- what kind of lacto are you using? Lab stuff or from grain?

I picked up the new Wyeast L. Brevis (I feel like I got a deal at $9). I'm thinking of pitching that (will about 10 IBUs) on a 3 month old cake of WLP670.

I've got 670 going right now. Good choice. I'll have a big cake of Brett a. I could use. I'm using the basic strain from wyeast. I could give the lacto a good head start, then pitch the Brett cake with a big starter of pawn or Chico.

Most excellent! You have two great choices to pick from- a tough decision awaits. Lucky you.

I would do a massive starter of lacto and sour two worts for 1 or 2 days- then giving a 1/3 or 1/4 of each cake to the two different carboys!

That Brett A would be fruity- and align w/ your original post. Where did you get Brett A??

Let's compare notes come fall. I can't brew my WLP670 until mid-Aug.

Sounds good! I sampled my 670 yesterday. Still a little sweet. I got the Brett a. From love2brew. It's tasty! Pretty dry already. Nice and fruity. I'm excited for this one.

Sampled the farmhouse with 670 yesterday. Man, I'm very pleased! Nice and dry. Mild spice. No funk yet. I think I might rack to a keg next week and put a few psi on it. Perhaps pick up a few bottles of Orval to pitch the dregs. Then pressure secondary.

I am just now sampling and kegging my WLP670 that I brewed back in mid April. Wow indeed!

I built a 1045 wort w/ ~ 61% pils, 12% munich, 15% wheat, 8% rye, and 4% acid malt. Hops were kept to 25 IBU w/ Willamette, Saaz, and Styrian Golding. It worked its way down to 1.005

I really do taste some very light tartness for just brett. Mild funk. Heavy citrus?!

Really amazing. I just pitched the new WY L. Brevis in a 1045 pale wort to sour for a day or so? and then will dump a small piece cake from the WLP670 in. I wish I brewed this beer months ago...

So what did you choose to sour?

If you haven't had it on its own yet, let the brett in the WLP670 work its way through. I never racked mine. But I kept feeding it pours from DME starters off random yeast I was waking up through the summer. I never did get a pellicle- but that doesn't mean a thing. Keep in mind that mine is almost 4 months old and appears to be in its sweet spot, then again I never bothered to taste it young to see what it was like.

The airlock always smelled like Dupont spice, and still did today before I kegged!

To think I was going to dry hop this or even add some JP dregs. I'm leaving it alone.

I've had poor luck w/ Orval dregs. I poured two bottles worth into just 3 gallons of a WY3724 saison and it barely budged in flavor and gravity. I blame cool temps.

Latest posts

Back