American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-04
Yeast Starter
no way
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nyet
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9.0L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 60-ish
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 60-ish
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Orange/coriander low in the profile, compliment fruitiness from Cascades.
Cascades Orange/Coriander Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

09.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 68.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 178.22 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.045 - 1.060)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015)
|==================#=============|
Color: 6.0 (5.0 - 14.0)
|===============#================|
Alcohol: 5.27% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|================#===============|
Bitterness: 33.78 (30.0 - 45.0)
|============#===================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9 lbs Maris Otter
1 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1 min
2 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 oz Orange zest - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1 oz Coriander crushed - added during boil, boiled 10 min
Whirlfloc - added during boil, boiled 15 min

This is my new favorite pale ale, which is a tweak on another very popular house ale on this site. Mash a little higher than your typical PA(155) for a bit more maltiness. The 04 drops nicely and if you have the ability to cold crash the secondary, or keg, this beer will be quite clear, with a slight orangy tinge. I buy pre packaged sweet orange zest from the LHBS, because I'm lazy. The coriander is the typical stuff from the grocery store, which I crushed with a mortar and pistle.

The orange and coriander are very low in the profile, with the orange showing through a bit more with the help of the fruity Cascades. I used pellets, which I mostly refuse to do with Cascades, but it turned out great. We really like this one and I'm going to stir up another batch (or two) to make sure that we have enough for the holidays.

Cascades Orange (one of Oprah's favorite things)
Cascades_Orange_Ale.jpg

PM Version(By TimStL)

Recipe: OrangePaleAle
Brewer: Tim
Asst Brewer:
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min)
1.00 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
55 min Step Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

I do a similar pale to this, I use Rahr 2-row, vienna, munich, and some honey and crystal malts to add some sweetness, which I add to with dried sweet orange peel. Usually use magnum for bittering, and cascade/centennial for aroma/flavor. I based mine off Jamil's APA recipe.

I used a saison yeast for the last batch, will be racking it tonight...

Ordered my ingredients for this and another brew from Morebeer yesterday... CANT WAIT to try it! All those cascades and orange... yum.

I am trying to save this one for our Thanksgiving beer, but that project is not going too well!

Mat, OMG...this is one of the best beers I've had in a long time. The orange from the zest and the grapefuit from the Cascades are nicely balanced. Poured with a nice white head. Just getting started with this guy, but good job sir.

My Cascade leaf hops are 7.4AA... so I dropped the FWH to .75oz, brewing this thing tomorrow morning!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Mat, OMG...this is one of the best beers I've had in a long time. The orange from the zest and the grapefuit from the Cascades are nicely balanced. Poured with a nice white head. Just getting started with this guy, but good job sir.

Glad you like it! We've killed half the batch already. On my first few tastings, I thought I might add a bit more orange in the next session, but it seems to be showing through more and more as it matures.

SO, you ONLY FWH this thing, with no other 60 minute additions? Just making sure....

How long are you dry hopping this thing in the secondary? 2 weeks? After about 5 days, it looks like the ferment has slowed considerably... will rack to the secondary in a few days to free it up for my Haus Ale

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Gonna have to pencil this one into the schedule :D Probably with some US 2 row as appsosed to the Maris Otter.

How would I go about crushing the corrainder without a mortar/pestle??.....lol I feel like a medivel alchemist :rockin:

2 Row will work fine for you, honestly there probably won't be an appreciable difference. I don't think you need a mortar/pestle for the coriander, just smash it up however you can. I just happen to have one.

This looks like a great recipe and as soon as I clear some space in a fermentor, I am going for it.

I was just wondering about the 2 packages of yeast. Is the second one for the secondary fermentor or something?

Also what AA were your Cascades to give you that IBU with 6 ounces used? I am thinking about skipping the dry hop portion of this recipe, but we'll see.

Hey - the two safale packs are my own preference, you can use one and things will go fine.

The Cascades were 5.5%.

Skipping the dry hop will skip the lovely Cascades aroma-but it's up to you.

Hey - the two safale packs are my own preference, you can use one and things will go fine.

The Cascades were 5.5%.

Skipping the dry hop will skip the lovely Cascades aroma-but it's up to you.

Ok, you twisted my arm. I need to try something new anyways, never dry hopped before. Never added hops during first wort either for that matter, but that is a little less scary than putting hops in a enclosed sanitary environment.

Dryhopping / late hop additions will really give you that 'microbrewed' taste in your pales and IPA's.

Ahoy hoy,
I missed this thread, and got the recipe from Pol after i saw him talking about it. I brewed it up on saturday. Man, when i added the orange and coriander seeds, the house smelled like the florida orange groves. I am so looking forward to trying this stuff. its perking away, right next to my deschutes Jubelale clone I made the day before, on friday.
I post when I sample, just to add some more info to the thread here
I bid you all a great day!

When I return from flying the SIM on Thursday I am transferring mine for the secondary(dryhop) to the keg, I will sample it then and give yall some tasting notes!

Okay I just kegged this beer and it is AMAZING! This was my first attempt at FWH'ing my beer and it is incredible! There is not a lot of the orange flavor in it, BUT the cascade bitterness, flavor and aroma all bend together SO well. This is the most complex and consistent hop bitterness, flavor and aroma I have ever tasted! AMAZING, I am a FWH'er for life!

Okay I just kegged this beer and it is AMAZING! This was my first attempt at FWH'ing my beer and it is incredible! There is not a lot of the orange flavor in it, BUT the cascade bitterness, flavor and aroma all bend together SO well. This is the most complex and consistent hop bitterness, flavor and aroma I have ever tasted! AMAZING, I am a FWH'er for life!

Congrads and I am jealous too because I am not sampling mine.

Anyways, I was wondering, you have a picture of your secondary with the hops in there dry hopping. It looked like a lot of them were not even in the liquid. Is there a ways to get the hops all under the beer?

I have not dry hopped yet if you can tell.

Congrads and I am jealous too because I am not sampling mine.

Anyways, I was wondering, you have a picture of your secondary with the hops in there dry hopping. It looked like a lot of them were not even in the liquid. Is there a ways to get the hops all under the beer?

I have not dry hopped yet if you can tell.

Yup, remove airlock, place thumb over hole and gently turn secondary upside down! That is what I did... after about 10 days, almost all of the hops sank to the bottom of the secondary anyhow.

Yup, remove airlock, place thumb over hole and gently turn secondary upside down! That is what I did... after about 10 days, almost all of the hops sank to the bottom of the secondary anyhow.

Oh.... so just like a 5 gallon corona then :) We'll see how it goes when I put them in. Enjoy your wonderful brew!

It has the best hop flavor/aroma/bittnerness I have ever tasted. Also, my Circle City City Haus Ale was FW hopped and it is incredible as well... there is a big difference in the hop profile.

At first I thought that I had not put in enough orange zest, but it seemed to move more forward in the flavor profile more as the beer aged.

Glad it turned out well!

Hell yeah! Just cracked one. About to watch the Oregon St. Beavers Rose Bowl hopes go up in flames!

EDIT: or perhaps next week.

I used pre-packaged stuff that I bought at the LHBS. It comes in 2 oz packs and is called 'Sweet Orange Zest'.

I plan on brewing this tonight and will be my 2nd AG. Wish me luck.

Curious if you hydrated the yeast for this too?

Also, the following calculator: Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator
Calls for only 1 11.5 gram package. What is pitching 2 of them going to do? Ferment faster? Am I going to have to work about blow off from the vigorous fermentation?

I rehydrated the yeast in 85F water for 30 mins prior to pitching. You only need one packet of yeast... dry yeast packets pack a HIGH cell count anyway, great for a 5 gallon batch.

I rehydrated the yeast in 85F water for 30 mins prior to pitching. You only need one packet of yeast... dry yeast packets pack a HIGH cell count anyway, great for a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the information, I was almost pitching the yeast when you wrote this actually. I just followed the directions on the package, they just said to throw it in with the wort. The wort was about 74 degrees at the time, so that should have warmed it up. I kept the window cracked overnight to cool the room down to 61, so the wort was at 68 this morning and slowing bubbling 8 hours later. I also only used one package. I figured I could always throw in the second at a later time if I wanted, maybe the secondary, probably not necessary though.

I've never re-hydrated, so I'm not sure what the effect is. I pitch two packs because my pro brewer buddy says they always massively overpitch. But it's totally not necessary. I hope this beer turns out well for you! I need to get some more in the pipeline!

I've never re-hydrated, so I'm not sure what the effect is. I pitch two packs because my pro brewer buddy says they always massively overpitch. But it's totally not necessary. I hope this beer turns out well for you! I need to get some more in the pipeline!

I am back from Mexico and getting crunk... so, anyway, I ALWAYS rehydrate, ALWAYS, if you don't, well... words cannot explain what you may be in for!

:D

Back