American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,
1st- thank you for the recipe. Sounds great.
2nd- has anyone tried adjusting the recipe to make a session style beer, maybe 3.5 or 4% abv? I think the orange zest and coriander would make a great lawnmower beer. If anyone has, please share details, like mash temp etc.
Ps- I'm currently making a batch of Yooper's fizzy yellow beer and it's taking a lot of self control not to throw some orange peel and coriander in the primary.

Hello;

I have reduced base grains and made a more mellow version. However I did proportionally reduce hop additions as well. I left the spice/orange additions the same. That aspect is pretty low in the mix anyway so the difference is minimal. Good luck.

So in the process of making this, but just realized that this recipe says its 33IBU? Both BrewersFriend and Beersmith put it at like 18-20 IBU's?

Should I am to bump it up to 33IBU or just follow the recipe as described?

I have 5.4% AA Cascade pellets i figured i would just pretend they are 5.5 since its so close. But again it gets me no where near 33IBU listed.

That's what Beer Tools Pro gave me back then.

I brewed this yesterday, but I forgot to put in the last hop addition! It wasn't until the beer was already in the fermenting bucket that I realized the last ounce of hops was still sitting on my kitchen counter. :mad:

Can I offset this by adding 3 ounces into the dry hop, instead of 2? Suggestions?

gonna brew this next and I have 2 yeasts on hand I can use. Have 1272 and the dregs from a 6pack of Oberon, which do you think would work best for this beer?

Brewed this today. Decided to build a starter with the oberon dregs. First couple days had me worried as there was no sign of activity, but stepped up as per usual. At 1L this yeast took off, i almost switched over to a blow off. Split the 1L into two .5L and built both back to 1L. Pitched one into the beer and saving the other for something else.
Brew day went fine but my mash eff was lower than usual. Beersmith predicted 1.048 for post mash, i got 1.044 (used 10# of MO cuz it was cheaper than buying 9#). Post boil was 1.060. Smell was fantastic cant wait till its ready.

Brewed this back on January 21. I subbed out 2 ounces of Cascade for Citra and used the 1 oz of Citra in lieu of the 1 minute addition and in lieu of 1 oz of the Cascade dry hop. Dry hopped after 5 days in the fermenter after pitching US-05. Kegged on 2/10. Drew a pint tonight and while it's not fully carbed it smells and tastes fantastic. Thanks OP for an awesome recipe. I will be brewing this again in the very near future.

OG was 1.051
FG is 1.011

A bit hazy as I dry hopped while fermentation was still active but that's what I was hoping for in terms of getting some of that NEIPA style in this pale ale.

US-04, one pack. Took off like a bat outta hell and is almost done already. No need for two IMO
Am i reading the recipe right that there’s 4 packs of yeast in total in this? I’m going to just pitch the one as well i think, but i’d like to know the rational behind the excessive amount of yeast.

Just curious. For those who have brewed this how many oranges does it take to get 2 oz of zest? Also, I brew BIAB so would it be best to toss the zest and coriander into a hop sack or throw loose in the kettle?
Does 2 oz of zest give enough of an orange presence?

I tweaked this a bit to fit my stock on hand

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Cascade Orange Pale Ale

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.87%
IBU (tinseth): 34.78
SRM (morey): 7.52

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - German - Vienna (22.7%)
7.5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (68.2%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (9.1%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.67
1.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 7.86
1.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 4.32
1.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Aroma for 1 min, IBU: 0.93
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 4.5, Use: Dry Hop for 10 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 155 F, Time: 0 min, Amount: 3.3 gal, Vorlauf constantly
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 175 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 6.45 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.33 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Wyeast yeast nutrient, Time: 15 min, Type: Water Agt, Use: Boil
1 each - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
2 oz - Orange Zest, Time: 10 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
1 oz - Coriander Crushed, Time: 10 min, Type: Herb, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: Yes
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 65 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
Method: Forced Carbonation

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 80
Mg2: 5
Na: 25
Cl: 75
SO4: 80
HCO3: 100
Water Notes:

NOTES:
Collect 6.5 gallons of wort from sparge prior to boil.

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-05-16 14:11 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-05-16 14:11 UTC

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/645445/cascade-orange-pale-ale

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/beerxml1.0/645445

I have some dried pineapple left over, and I'm wondering if you think it would work in a beer (with or as a substitute for the orange peel)? Any thoughts?

I have some dried pineapple left over, and I'm wondering if you think it would work in a beer (with or as a substitute for the orange peel)? Any thoughts?

Kegging or bottling?
If kegging i'd just puree it with some light rum then use a french press to filter it out and add to keg after it's been cold crashing.

adding to primary or secondary, it might just ferment out and leave little flavor.

bottling? not a clue.

Kegging or bottling?
If kegging i'd just puree it with some light rum then use a french press to filter it out and add to keg after it's been cold crashing.

adding to primary or secondary, it might just ferment out and leave little flavor.

bottling? not a clue.

Kegging. The rum idea is fantastic. thanks for the idea.

Brewing this today. But with
1oz dried lemon
1 oz orange

Also thinking about dry hopping with 2 oz cascade and 2 oz citra

This recipe calls for ~150g of cascade but I only have ~120g (1oz short). I do have about 80g centennial though... should i sub for bittering or aroma?

This recipe calls for ~150g of cascade but I only have ~120g (1oz short). I do have about 80g centennial though... should i sub for bittering or aroma?

I say bittering.
Just keep % the same to keep ibu's in line.
I've done this with my last 3 summer brews because I was short the right kind of hop.
The first one came out just fine and waiting for the other two to come out of the fermentor.

may not be the exact same beer as the recipe but i bet it will work.

Brewing this tomorow!

Didn't want to use all my Cascade so subbed the FWH for Southern Cross.

Also using fresh Orange Zest!

Turned out prety good. Here she is about 1 month post-bottling.

Nice Orange nose, orange aftertaste. Cascade comes in nicely.

Great recipe !

Attachments

• 00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180727131611188_COVER.jpg
    00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180727131611188_COVER.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
Brewed it 11.08.2018 with Notty which only set my blow off tube (fermenting in a corny) bubbling this morning, so 48-60 hours. This supposedly is not unusual for Notty.

I only had coriander powder so I just added 10g instead of 30g of that to be on the safe side. Will report back in about 6 weeks time (bottling) but the wort tasted really good!

I brewed this 1.5 weeks ago. Here are the minor differences in how I brewed it, all else is to the original recipe for the all-grain batch, including a mash of 155F.

I peeled the skin from an orange using a very good/sharp vegetable peeler and carefully avoided getting any of the white part. I was able to pretty much get one, long, continuous coil per orange so didn't have a bunch of zest to clog everything up.

For the orange: I just went to the grocery store and picked the orange type that actually smelled like orange (a lot had no smell) then washed it with a bit of hot water and rubbing to be sure any waxy/oily preservative coatings were washed off (I think these may harm head retention).

I put the coriander in a zip-lock bag and ran a rolling pin over it until I was satisfied in the crush.

Yeast: Only a single pack of US-05. For a 5 gallon batch of beer of this OG I don't see a reason for more than 1 pack (though may try the combo of 04 and 05 next time to see what the difference is).

The beer was finished fermenting in 5 days, and had held steady at the 6th day. I dry-hopped at Day 6. OG: 1.053 FG 1.013 (never had one finish so close to expected, though I did do a water top up to bring my OG down from 1.064)

Day 8 I placed the fermenter in the fridge and cold crashed to 34F for 24hours then added Gelatin for just less than 2 days before transferring to the keg. I pressurized to 40psi for 28hrs @ ~38F

Now on day 12: I understand it is young, but I like my IPAs very young. I can't say for sure that I can taste the coriander, but it does seem to be noticeable in the aroma as a bit of pepperiness. I definitely cannot taste the orange, but it also leaves a bit of aroma.

As is, it is very good and could be a House beer here, and be very drinkable even for some more adventurous BMC drinkers. For me this would be a great lawnmower/pool beer.

What I'll try next time:
-More orange peel. With the fresh orange peel, even though I had 4x the amount of fresh peel compared to the dry peel called for, I would do 16oz fresh peel using the method I used.
-May leave out the coriander: I don't have a place to get coriander seeds cheap, so this added $6 to the beer and I just don't notice it that much. If I find it cheaper I'll definitely use it though.
-More dry hops: I may shoot for more hop aromas, especially since my kegging and clearing regimen may decrease hop aromas.

What is interesting to me (and wish people posted more photos of their beer) is the differences in color and clarity people get. That's what makes homebrewing so cool - even with the same recipe - there is always a difference in equipment and technique that still turn out different beers.

Attachments

• CascadeOrange.JPG
    CascadeOrange.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 195
Brewed it 11.08.2018 with Notty which only set my blow off tube (fermenting in a corny) bubbling this morning, so 48-60 hours. This supposedly is not unusual for Notty.

I only had coriander powder so I just added 10g instead of 30g of that to be on the safe side. Will report back in about 6 weeks time (bottling) but the wort tasted really good!

This is now my house pale ale. Finished off the last few bottles last night. Big hit with everyone. I must agree with pretty much eerything in the post directly before this one but I get coriander seeds cheap from an asian grocery store so I'll just toast em and bash em for the nex time. Oh, and next time I'll take a photo!

Here's a picture of of a pretty similar recipe to this that I brewed at a local brewpub here in China. I added just a touch extra Vienna and Caramel and mashed higher. And used esb yeast so it had a bit more body s it finished up at 018.
IMG_20181110_162744.jpg

Gonna have to pencil this one into the schedule :D Probably with some US 2 row as appsosed to the Maris Otter.

How would I go about crushing the corrainder without a mortar/pestle??.....lol I feel like a medivel alchemist :rockin:
Ive crushed it before...I used an adjustable pepper mill ,works great.

I did the partial mash version and I wasn't too thrilled with my OG. I came out at 1.052, and that's with .7LB of table suger that I poured into the wort ~10 min left of the boil.

If I knew this, I would have used possibly 4lbs of DME, 3lbs doesn't seem to be enough.

I added yet more table sugar (about .4lb) end of boil to get the OG up to a healthy 1.055.

I mashed at 150-153F. I kept mashing temps a just a tad lower because I didn't want a malty beer, but a very clean tasting pale ale.

Hoping that this one does finish low, otherwise I'll be stuck with a ~5.2%er. My target ABV was a 6.25%, but hoping now for a 5.91%.

It's probably going to taste really good. I'm fermenting at 62F with the S-04. I think 2 packs of yeast is overkill. The next morning it was pretty much fermenting at 85% peak...only after 8 hours. I would recommend 1 pack of yeast, or if you're double batching like I am, 1.5 packs per each carboy. 2 packs just seems overkill for a ~6% beer, especially with US-04 that just seems to be more on the aggressive side.

Thinking of dry hopping with 2Oz of cascade. But I'm also thinking on not dry hoping because it's probably already going to smell really nice.

Last edited:
This was one of the first beers I brewed about 5 years ago. I did a mix of Citra and Cascade as I didn't have so much Cascade. Can't remember that it turned out particularly good. I'll brew it again soon with all cascade and M36 yeast. Should hopefully turn out better also because I have 5 years more experience behind me. Think I was storing my hops in the fridge back then :oops: but now I vacuum and freeze. It also ended up being over carbed, a problem which I still have from time to time.

Back