Cascade leaf question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
I have 3 cascade rhizomes in the ground these are 2nd year plants. Two of the rhizomes have leaves with 5 lobes and the other has only 3 lobes per leaf. I never noticed last year but what's up with that. Anyone have any ideas?

Good question, I'm curious if anyone could include a picture of a Cascade leaf vs a Sterling leaf. I've got a nagging feeling my list of the order I planted my hops is wrong and my Sterling and Cascade are reversed.

it seems that as the plants mature the 5-lobe structure will develop quicker than in the first or second year plants. don't get me wrong, the juvenile leaves will usually be 3-lobed but as the plants mature, the 5-lobed leaves will appear much earlier in the growth cycle.

OP - Entirely normal.

Retrofit - leave structure won't help. Really good change the bigger plant will be the Cascades.

Thanks David 42. My list for order planted reads "Sterling, Cascade...", but my nose tells me "Cascade, Sterling." So I keep second guessing my nose because dang it, I wrote "Sterling then Cascade!" I'll look at the size and keep that in mind. All assistance is appreciated.

Back