Cascade Harvest Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa4234

Reaction score
So our cascade harvest (while a little late this year) is going to yield a bunch of hops and I want to brew with them directly from the vine. Any idea for a cascade "harvest" ale? Thinking just a simple APA, using pellets for bittering and then the cascade spread over the last 15 minutes or so?

Sounds good! Keep us posted as to how it turns out. Also, don't forget to account for how much the whole cones will soak up the wort.

Here are some ideas of grain bills you could use for your beer. I reached out to BYO about a month ago asking them for suggestions using all home grown hops and they responded with this article. Click the link to download the PDF.

Last edited:
I agree with your approach. For an APA with lots of local, leaf hops where I don't know the IBUs, I always liked to get my "guaranteed" IBUs from a single ounce of a store bought bittering hop, aiming for the low end of the style. Say 25-30 IBUs from that bittering hop. Then throw a boatload of the leaf hops in at flameout (4-6 ounces). Your real IBUs will come out somewhat higher, giving you about the right gravity: bitter ratio, with a ton of awesome hop flavor. Using the unmeasured hops for all flameout additions or dryhopping lowers the range of potential IBU outcomes.

Personal preference, but I like recipes with light malt bills like 90% base, some light Munich and wheat. Usually SG of 1.05-1.056. Lets the hops take center stage.

Latest posts

Back