Cascade +Columbus IPA suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Just looking for some recipe advice.

My first AG beer I made a few months ago was an APA and it just got better and better over time. I'd like to have a go at an IPA version of this - just wanting a bit more hop action really, improving a good thing. This time I'd like to include some Columbus in the mix to keep the cost down a bit. The 5G previous recipe, which I loved, was...

1/2oz Cascade @ 60 mins
1/2oz Cascade @ 30 mins
1oz Cascade @ 15 mins
1/2oz Cascade dry-hop 7 days

So what would people suggest for a 5 gallon Columbus/Cascade IPA? I notice most recipes focus less on the 30/15 additions and focus more on the 10/5/0 additions. All I know is that I really liked my previous brew above so I guess I'm asking for suggestions that focus more on the middle inclusions. I'm price conscious as well, so I think this helps with that.

For malts I have 2-row ale malt, medium crystal, toffee malt (similar to carapils) and sour grapes malt (for ph adjustment). Notably the base malt I'm using this time is different, more English style than pale American style, I got a free 25kg sack so I need to use that as my base for a while.

Appreciate any advice.

Edit: I'm targeting approx 1.066 gravity for maybe 50-60 IBUs, but that's all pretty flexible. Thought I'd nail down the hop additions first and build from there.

I would go 96% basemalt and 4% mefium crystal mashed low and long.
Bitter with Columbus.
Cascade at 45
Columbus at 20
Both at 10 and flame out
And dry hop.
Look for 60IBUs from the first three additions,but more ftom 45 than ftom 60).
Don't bother counting the IBU from the late additions.

Columbus had a lot more punch so use more Cascade or it'll get overwhelmed.

1oz Columbus @ FWH
1oz Cascade @ 15 mins
2oz Cascade @ Flameout
2oz Cascade dry-hop 7 days

Should give you the IBU's you're looking for. Use approximately 95% of your base malt for the bill and fill in with 5% combination of Carapils and Caramel malt. Mash at 148*, 60 minute boil.

Would that be Gladfield ale malt that you have a bag of?

If it is, you're a very lucky brewer. It's one of my favourite base grains; my experiences put it right up with maris otter for flavour.

Gladfield ale will make an excellent IPA on it's own (with pH adjustment). I'd personally leave the toffee and crystal malts for pale ales.

Yes it is the Gladfield ale malt. My courier had a sack with no address sitting around the depot, he was going to chuck it out. Then my homebrew order arrived in the same bag and he asked if I wanted it. Great success!

I made a really nice porter with this malt, plus an English bitter, havent tried it for American styles yet but Im sure it will be great.

Soooo, this IPA has been carbonating almost 3 weeks and I'm giving it a good thorough quality-checking. I am very much enjoying this beer and would like to thank everyone who replied, as this feedback was very helpful.

Here's what I ended up brewing, this is a 16 litre batch so the amounts are a bit non-standard...

88.1% Gladfield ale malt
3.9% Med Crystal
3.9% Gladfield toffee malt
2% Sourmalz
2.1% table sugar

60 mins 7g Columbus 16 IBU
45 mins 25g Cascade 23 IBU
20 mins 11g Columbus 15 IBU
10 mins 10g Columbus 8 IBU
10 mins 10g Cascade 4 IBU
0 mins 10g Cascade
7 days dry hop 20g Cascade
2 days dry hop 9g Cascade

Mashed at 67c for 1 hour. I ran out of Columbus and wasn't able to use that for dry-hopping, used extra cascade instead.

This was my first brew where I crushed the malt myself instead of having the HBS do it - and my efficiency was terrible due to not having the malt crusher setup properly. Ended up with 6% ABV instead of 7.2%, whoops.

Flavour is great though. It's a very balanced IPA. It doesn't have any weird lingering aftertaste like many IPAs do, and it's very drinkable. You know it's an IPA, but it doesn't remove the enamel from your teeth either. Basically this completely meets my original goal of upgrading the APA recipe and keeping the middle additions at the front. I will definitely brew this again.

IMG_20160825_171715.jpg

Looks wondrefull!!! keep going with the good work and dont forget, its a learning process!! I m planning a American Amber Ale for the portuguese national competition of craftbeer, as last year i got a 9the place, but i m without time to brew..... :mad: once again, your brew looks realy tasty!!

Cheers

Back