Cream Ale Carrot Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcowbrewing

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Should taste like a light bodied beer with a touch of carrots, four crops?
Brewed up a variation of Biermunchers three crops
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

I added carrots. Process was to boil 8.5 cut up carrots in 2 gallons of water, later to be added to the mash, both water and the carrots. After close to an hour, boil the carrots until soft then separate the liquid. Add liquid to the first strike water and the carrots to the grain.
7 lbs. Pale malt
12 oz. Flaked Corn
12 oz Minute Rice
8 oz. Honey at flame out

Mash like normal at 150, sparge like normal and continue on to the boil. I use the mash with the carrots for dog treats.

Just finished this boil and just hit the fermenter.

How did turn out? I was thinking of a carrot beer and using mashed carrots in the mash.

Still in primary. Checking gravity tonight. Been fermenting at 64-65, raised it a touch yesterday on day 3 to 67.

Checked gravity, after 3 days, at 1.008, doing a rest at 70-72 degrees to drive out the last points. I am guessing it will get to 1.006. It will get a little higher in alcohol then I wanted, but first try in. It was still pretty cloudy, taste was great for a cream ale, could drink it all day long. Carrots was there but you really had to try to find it. Next time I will increase the amount maybe to 12 pounds. If you are going to mash the carrots, I highly suggest using rice hulls to prevent a stuck mash.

8 days grain to glass..... A really great cream ale, could drink it all day. Needs more carrot though for it to mean anything. The honey gives it a nice touch of sweetness.

Merlin.jpg

Back