CaribouSlobber Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubadude918

Reaction score
Hey all!
Caribou slobber from norther brewer is probably my favorite brown ale and quickly became a staple in my rotation.

My question is, has anyone tried replacing or splitting the 2Row with Maris Otter?

The only thing is I don't want it to be over sweetened. That's why I came here. To hear from the masses!

You will get a rich orange-brown color using straight quality Maris Otter. I love the color, and it does not come out too sweet.

I would do a test batch of bitter or ESB to see if it is the color that you like, and then adjust with a bit of chocolate as needed. Thomas Fawcett is one of my favorites and it is on the dark side, but it is rich with flavor, not overly sweet unless you underhop.

Well the color doesn't really matter to me. As is, the recipe is deep dark brown. I've read that the Maris Otter gives a bready flavor. That's what I'm really looking for. 2row seems too 1-dimensional to me.

Would you suggest subbing out the 2row completely? Or halving the 2row and maris otter?

I just brewed an ESB using 12 lbs of MO and it has a nice malty but not sweet finish to it. I have brewed Caribou Slobber and it has more of a dry 2 - row finish and little more bitterness cause of the dark grains. You could start with a 50/50 mix and then adjust up or down. I think I may do the same and substitute 50% MO for the 2 - row and see how it finishes out. I am using Denny's Favorite on the CS and that helps the mouthfeel where as I used the Wyeast 1968 London ESB specific yeast for the ESB. That yeast may be some reason for the difference in the level of malt perceived but the only way to really know is to try it out.

Yeah I'll do a 50/50, it's a really enjoyable beer as it is. Now I have another reason to brew :)

Yeah I'll do a 50/50, it's a really enjoyable beer as it is. Now I have another reason to brew :)

I am thinking about substituting MO for the 2-row in this recipe and was wondering if you ended up brewing with the 50/50 mix? How did it come out?

Back