Caribou Slobber/Partial boil question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLovinBeast57

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm brewing my first batch ever today and I'm so pumped! I have one concern though:

When using extract kits, many people do portion boils (~3 gallons, topping it off to 5 gallons with water)... The other way to do it is a full 5 gallon boil. I know that doing a partial boil has an affect on hop efficiency, but I have also heard that doing a partial boil makes for a watered down beer. Really do not want that! So I was wondering if anybody has any info on the taste difference between partial boils and full boils? How does the extra water affect the partial boil and what I can do to avoid a watered down beer?

Also I'm brewing the caribou slobber and would love to hear how yours' have turned out!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you can do a full boil, that's supposed to be the best way, but I can tell you that, at least with this beer, it won't taste watered down on a partial boil. I did a partial boil with my batch of slobber (~2.5 gallons), and it turned out great.

And definitely wait the full 3 weeks for bottle conditioning. I had my first of the batch at two weeks and it was decent, but after 3, all the malty flavors really start showing up in a great way.

If you are doing a kit I would go with the volumes they call for. The recipe takes into account the boil size. AFAIK, If you change it it will change the hop profile unless you make adjustments.

Also, I heard priming sugar makes your beer taste "cidery". On the other hand, I heard it makes no taste difference... Any truth to either of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back