cardboard taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to figure this out myself. My first AG had it really bad the first 3 weeks, but I aged it another month and that flavor toned down a lot.

It's caused by oxidation. Did you splash the wort around while it was above 80 degrees? Did you cool the wort down fast enough after the boil? Usually these are the main causes.

I think warmer fermentation temperatures can cause these "cardboardish" tastes as well, because when I ferment hot, I don't taste fusel alcohol off tastes... only cardboard

the proverbial "THEY" say it's from Hot Side Aeration. I am not sure I believe that....Oxidation is Oxidation. The other "THEY" say that you almost have to try to get Hot Side Aeration on a home brewers scale.

How long has this been bottled? Time Heals All Wounds.

Cardboard flavors happen from oxidation post fermentation such as when you transfer from primary to secondary, secondary to bottling bucket or keg.

Also, it is possible for bottles of beer to become oxidized as they get older, but typically homebrews don't have this problem since there are live yeasts in the bottle.

Share your information on what went wrong, it might be useful to someone.

I've been filling my last 3-4 beers directly from the spigot of the bottling bucket. It fills the bottles quickly but I think it's introducing too much oxygen into the beer in the process. My first attempts had a clean taste and I used a bottling wand so I'll return to using it to fill the bottles.

Taking all of this into consideration, and thinking about LONG TERM storage of things like Barley Wine and BIG stout beer, and considering that these are often bulk aged for a long time and end up with very little yeast in the bottle, I pose this question:
Has anyone ever used Campdon in Beer? Will it work? Will it help prevent oxidation?

i use 1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid - it is supposed to absorb oxygen for wine it is 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons

Latest posts

Back