Cardamon spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
I made a Bourbon Oaked Porter and it actually came out pretty good....BUT....I had sampled one before that was just amazing...the back end of the taste was like sipping a bourbon and Coke. Mine has the bourbon, but no Coke.

I have read where cardamon imparts a "cola like" flavor. Has anybody ever used cardamon? Do you think that is what I may need to get that cola flavor? Or something else? How much for a five gallon batch?

Thanks!

Try it in the glass. Then scale it up minus ~10% for some wiggle room.

I've never associated cardamom with coke, but ...

I used cardamom in a wit.
I added 3 split open cardamom pods during the last 5 min of the boil...the flavor was totally overpowering (not good).
If I were to use it again, I would add the contents of 1/2 pod at flame out.
I love cardamom, but its potent stuff...start small

As mentioned go easy on it, it is a very powerful spice. I have used it in cooking, but not in brewing.

Yes, it is cola-like. And I've used it in a couple of gruits. I love it. I crush mine and soak in an ounce of vodka, then add the vodka to taste on bottling day. You only need 2 seeds per gallon to taste it. Very powerful stuff. Or splurge and use 2.5 or 3 seeds per gallon, maximum. Don't use a pod worth, or even a portion, that's WAY too much.

Yes, it is cola-like. And I've used it in a couple of gruits. I love it. I crush mine and soak in an ounce of vodka, then add the vodka to taste on bottling day. You only need 2 seeds per gallon to taste it. Very powerful stuff. Or splurge and use 2.5 or 3 seeds per gallon, maximum. Don't use a pod worth, or even a portion, that's WAY too much.

I have never sen the pods only the seeds in the spice section at the store. So...2 seeds per gallon.

I've got a batch of cider working....I might split a gallon off and add a couple of seeds just to check it out. Thanks guys.

I haven't used it in beer, but I've made cardamom tea at home (brew black tea, adding cardamom to the leaves in a filter), and I can tell you that a little bit goes a long way, and definitely make sure you have a way to filter it out (hop spider or post-boil) if you use the powdered form.

Back