Carboy volcano

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateomtb

Reaction score
First batch ever and everything seemed to be text book until sometime between hour 18-26. Blow off attached via orange carboy cap and last look this am things had got going overnight with some gusto. 5 gal carboy top was completely filled with foam and was happily bubbling off into a glass pitcher of sterilizer. It appears the hop pellet frags rode the foam to the top and clogged the cap. It blew off and actually landed in the pitcher of sanatizer so i used it to knock the pile of foam off the top and stuck it back on. Within a minute the hose was bubbling steadily again in the sanatizer. I probably should have stuck a freshly sterilized cap on? Should I prep another cap or just ride it out? I panicked a bit when I found it this way LOL.

If it landed in the sanitizer you are probably good to go. You may want to find a 3-4 foot 1" or 1 1/4" vinyl tubing to use as a blowoff tube and ditch the cap for future brews. Did you put a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy? I did the same thing my first batch and learned that a little more headroom is nice to have :)

Jason

A single tip for your next batch.

Purchase and use Fermcap-S. A few drops in your primary and blow-offs are a thing of the past. Cheap and easy to use - can't beat it. I won't brew without it. Seriously.

--Doug

+1 to a larger carboy if you were using a 5 gallon primary for a 5 gallon batch. You should use at least a 6.5 gallon carboy for that. The cap falling in the sanitizer is ok, you shouldn't have any problems. Keep an eye on the beer though as it may clog again!

Thanks all, yeah it was a 5 in a 5. The clogging had crossed my mind for a moment when I noticed the hop frags in the foam but wasn't sure what I could do at that point. I'll check out the fermcap--s too, that sounds better than getting another carboy since I have 2 fives.

i have 5 gal in my 6 gal carboy and was still having blowoff issues. just swapped out from the bubbler to the old school tube method. all is well now.

Thanks all, yeah it was a 5 in a 5. The clogging had crossed my mind for a moment when I noticed the hop frags in the foam but wasn't sure what I could do at that point. I'll check out the fermcap--s too, that sounds better than getting another carboy since I have 2 fives.

I just saw a thread today regarding Fermcap-S, they said they had their first lid pop ever while using it. I guess it is a very very very uncommon thing, but it is still something to watch for. You could keep the 5 gallon fermenters, use a blow-off tube and Fermcap-S and it would be a safe bet.

Also, some people prefer to adjust their ingredients for 5.5 gallons post boil so you are guaranteed 5 gallons in the bottling bucket / keg even after fermentation / yeast cake. That is another option you are limiting yourself if you continue to get 5 gallon carboys. In the future I'd still recommend larger and maybe a time will come when you can use the 5 gallons for secondaries only! :mug: But for now, brew on!

Back