Carboy head space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy

Reaction score
I have 41/2 gallon in the primary

Let's pretend I'm worried about too much head space going into the secondary because I only have two 3 gallon glass carboys So I will have to put 2 gallons in each and lose the rest to trub

Could I just use my co2 bottle and hold it at the opening of the carboy and purge the space with co2. Just like when kegging?

Thanks

Yes, you can--though you'll have some mixing of air and CO2 when you do that.

I don't have carboys, but if I did, what I might do is this: fill carboy with star-san solution. Insert sanitized racking cane connected to CO2. Invert carboy over sink, turn on CO2.

The CO2 will push the star-san solution out of the inverted carboy, and when you get to the bottom you'll have virtually perfect atmosphere into which to rack your beer.

That's what I'd try, I think. I'd also try to capture the star-san solution in a bucket so I could re-use it.

Here's an experiment. Top off one of your 3 gallon carboys as a secondary vessel. Bottle (or keg) the rest. Compare and see which method produces a beer you like more or if there's any difference at all.

Hmm. That's could be interesting. Would tell if primary made a difference

I gave you an answer to the question, but I'm with the folks above--I'd probably not rack to secondary. I did that with my first brew, haven't with the last three and I don't see the need, generally.

From what I understand, the only real need for a secondary is if you have a beer that needs to age a LONG time. Three weeks is not a long time.

Ok. I'll try just leaving the lid on the bucket for 3 weeks.

Back