Carboy erupted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsss

Reaction score
Brewed a Dipa last night and put into a Carboy. Just found the airlock popped off and the Carboy erupted trub, foam, and liquid all over. Any idea what happened and is it ruined? Any help would be appreciated!

You just had a vigorous fermentation. Rig up a blowoff tube and you'll be fine. Next time you're at the LHBS, get some Fermcap to help keep the krausen down .

And all the stuff and CO2 oozing out likely kept anything bad from getting in. I bet it's fine.

Current beer is likely fine. The yeast had a frat party in the carboy. As others have said take your airlock out and rig up a blowoff hose into your stopper and going into a container with some starsan. Problem solved. After a few days switch back to airlock.

Just have to mention that the two most common reasons for a blowout are 1. Not enough headspace to allow for expansion of krausen, and 2. Too warm a fermentation.
A blowoff tube will help with #1, but make sure you are keeping your temps under control and you are less likely to need one. Plus the beer will have less off-flavor compounds that high temps tend to create.

Damn. I already cleaned it up and forgot to get a picture!

It hasn't erupted again thankfully, there is some fluid in the airlock, the bubbling is strong but controlled.

This happened to me recentlly. Two small of head space was the problem. It was like a volcano went off. In the end the beer is fine!

And sometimes it is just a vigorous fermentation. Plenty of headspace or not…

Happened to me once. I was hoping you had a photo. It's entertaining, and I ended up with great beer. It's part of the adventure. I start with a blow off tube every time now.

Couldn't post it with my phone earlier. I definitely think it was too much liquid in the carboy. I also read that with stronger beers with an OG higher than 1.060 should be put in a bucket (primary) and then can transferred to a secondary (carboy), i think there's a little more space in the bucket which would have given it room. Next time...

True, but starting with a blow of tube and a bucket has proven to be a good strategy for me regardless of OG.

Happened to me last night. Had Milk Chocolate Stout all over the inside of my fridge. Didn't want a picture of it.

Only took my one time to learn that lesson. My carboy erupted so forcefully it blew the stopper out so hard it hit the ceiling. Needless to say there was crap everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just had my first eruption as well, although mine was a little self induced. I tried to modify my blow off tube and when I pulled it out beer went shooting out EVERYWHERE. I was covered, my fridge was covered, there is still some orange zest on the ceiling of the garage. Luckily it was in the garage. It turned out to be the best beer I have made so far.

Latest posts

Back