Carboy cover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
I am going to build an insulated fermentation chamber that can raise the temperature of the carboys. I was going to use a low wattage incandescent bulb to heat the chamber. Usually I just cover my fermenters in a black trash bag in the basement, but it doesn't get much light so I don't care about skunking. Can rays from a light bulb that skunk beer penetrate a trashbag? UV or whatever else?

My opinion is that the black trash bag over the carboy will protect your beer from the UV light.

I fortunately have room for a small fridge in my basement and that is my fermentation chamber with an STC 1000 to accurately control the temperature.

I only use plastic fermenters (buckets) and no glass carboys so do not have to worry about plastic bags to prevent skunking or fear of a broken glass carboy.

Not trying to knock you idea rather just throwing a different perspective out there to consider.

I assume the stc1000 only turns power off and on to your fridge. How do you warm your bucket if needed?

A fridge would be nice, but i would need two. I want separate compartments so i could use one for a lager and one for an ale

I am fermenting my first batch in a similar setup - 5cf chest freezer, STC-1000, small shop light with a 60W bulb. Several people have posted on similar threads that the light emitted from an incandescent bulb will not harm your beer. Just to be safe, I have a piece of aluminium foil over the hood of the light. We'll see how it turns out.

Back