Carboy CO2 purge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8dannyB2

Reaction score
After I racked to secondary I learned that I should've done this after purging the oxygen out of it. So consequently I racked straight to the carboy. But after doing so, it must have reinvigorated some of the yeast because my airlock has been bubbling pretty good ever since. So I'm guessing that means I have a good amount of CO2 built up in the carboy. That being said should I be worried about my beer becoming oxidized or is the air lock activity a good sign that I shouldn't have to worry about it? Info have a good bit of head space as my wort came up well short of 5 gallons. I ended up with about 4 in a 5 gallon carboy.

8dannyB2 said:
Info have a good bit of head space as my wort came up well short of 5 gallons. I ended up with about 4 in a 5 gallon carboy.

Should read: "I" have a good bit of head space.....damn auto spell.

I'd venture that a big portion of homebrewers don't have a CO2 system that allows them to purge the air. While it is a good practice, it's not essential.

The physical agitation of racking to the secondary often releases CO2 that is in solution.

You have nothing to worry about as long as you employed good practices in the transfer avoiding excessive aeration such as in splashing.

I think what many are going to say is....
1: If you have fermentation going on after moving to the secondary, you moved too soon.

2: Air lock activity does not = fermentation.. lack of air lock activity does not = no fermentation.

3: if beer is racked correctly from fermentor to carboy (no aeration) only a very small amount of beer is exposed to air, and thus not a big issue.. by all means if you have the means, purge the carboy or bottling bucket with CO2... Home Brew Supply shop marketing would have you believe it is required.... I have done it with about 1/2 my batches so far.... but no consistency, and only tasted 3 of the 10 so cant tell for sure myself it it matters... and the beer does not really last long enough to "go bad" I believe from the little exposure mine gets.

Back