Carboy Cap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy

Reaction score
So I just bought a carboy cap designed for a 6 gallon carboy(http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys.html). I have two carboys, and at the moment I don't know what size they are, but are around 6 gallons. The cap definetly does not fit on one of the carboys (cap is too big), and it fits on the other carboy, but seems like it might be a little loose to me. For those of you that have used these caps, should the cap be a little loose, or should it feel like it has a very firm seal? I would think that it should feel very firm, but wanted other's opinion. These carboys are 16+ year's old, so the mouth size may be a little different than what is currently used.

It should feel very tight. The orange cap fits 5 gallon carboys and is supposed to fit 6 gallon carboys while the red cap fits 6.5 gallon carboys.

In my experience, they don't fit well at all. I had 5 gallons of wonderful red wine that got oxidized using these caps so I only use them for very short term now.

ah, i think i'll stick with the rubber stoppers then. Seemed like a good product, but not if it's inconsistent witht how it fits on carboys. I can probably still use it for starting the syphon when racking.

The caps should be tight. Inevitably in the molding process some fit better than others, if you have them, only use them on the ones they fit on, if you have more than one of those, usually you will end up with 1 of them fitting on the carboy when you need it.

Back