Carboy cap - siphon starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I recently bought a two-spout carboy cap because it can accommodate a slightly larger blowoff tube than the drilled bung I was using previously. I was curious why there were TWO spouts, and Google came up with this answer for me, from the product listing on the Northern Brewer site:

"Put a racking tube through the center spout, fit the cap over the mouth of the full carboy, then blow hard into the second hole to prime a siphon."

Seriously?!? This sounds like a very convenient way to start a siphon, but am I right to be a little nervous about introducing my mouth bacteria into my carboy? If the risk is low, I'll definitely give it a try.

It also takes some pressure to get the flow started. I do have a barb for my co2 line so I can stick to the cap and use the gas to start the flow. These days I just prime my racking hose with sanitizer and use that.

I have some carboy caps that I have yet to use (using boiled water to start the siphons for the first few brews through the system), but I read somewhere that blowing through a HEPA filter (like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/in-line-sanitary-filter.html) should take care of the bacteria risk.

Can anyone confirm this? I've avoided using them for the same reason as the OP.

I have some carboy caps that I have yet to use (using boiled water to start the siphons for the first few brews through the system), but I read somewhere that blowing through a HEPA filter (like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/in-line-sanitary-filter.html) should take care of the bacteria risk.

Can anyone confirm this? I've avoided using them for the same reason as the OP.

I have the cap and one of those filters. You are supposed to always blow the same direction so mark one side when you first get it. I actually haven't had much luck using it to start a siphon. You have to blow really hard because that filter adds a lot of resistance since the hole is very tiny. And usually the siphin doesn't start the first time so I've had to do it over several times to get the flow started at which point I'm dizzy and winded. It would probably work better without the filter but then I would worry about infection. I just ordered an easy siphon and am going to give that a try instead.

i've been starting the siphon without using a filter, haven't had a problem with bacteria...granted, it's only been about 10 batches since i bought them

i've been starting the siphon without using a filter, haven't had a problem with bacteria...granted, it's only been about 10 batches since i bought them

x2, for over a year and a half. (I am of the belief that it's very difficult to infect a batch of fully fermented beer)

"Put a racking tube through the center spout, fit the cap over the mouth of the full carboy, then blow hard into the second hole to prime a siphon."

I've used this method many times. I gargle some cheap vodka first and ensure my mouth is dry first. The siphon starts right away. I've never had any infections. I would think that the heavy layer of CO2 would provide a protective layer anyways.

FireBrew63 said:
I would think that the heavy layer of CO2 would provide a protective layer anyways.

Plus, the surface of the beer, which is all that's exposed to the incoming breath, will almost certainly remain in the fermenter.

I'm gonna give it a try. I don't have any vodka, but I might gargle with a hydrogen peroxide solution. I think I'll also add 6 - 10 inches of extra tubing to the mouth spout.

I have started a siphon this way for every batch I've ever made. i use the filter and always blow the same direction. Works great and you don't have to use those crappy plastic siphons that are a pain to clean.

Just did my frst siphon using the filter, forgot to mark the direction I blew in it but now I'm not that worried.

(yes its a rmonth old thread but breath dam it)

I purchased sterile siphon from more beer
3010.jpg

It is basically a stainless steel racking cane with tubing in carboy cap and sterile filter. Best thing ever. I use it to transfer wort from brew kettle to carboy by creating vacum in carboy by sucking the air out. I also use it to transfer between carboys (I don't use buckets) and to keg. Best thing ever!

bought the same thing from B3, used on apfelwein to bottle then without filter to drain carboy for cleaning. (dam thats where the little orange piece goes!) just noticed it in your pic.

paraordnance said:

It is basically a stainless steel racking cane with tubing in carboy cap and sterile filter. Best thing ever. I use it to transfer wort from brew kettle to carboy by creating vacum in carboy by sucking the air out.

I imagine you'd have to suck pretty hard to create a vacuum in an empty carboy, no? If it's not too hard, I'll be happy to try it to rack from kettle to carboy. I get tired of priming a siphon by hand and dripping water all over the place.

I didn't have much luck with this setup. Auto siphon works great for me.

I have been using the filter though. I put it in a stopper after I pitch my yeast when I am dropping the temp in a water bath. I got some suck back of water in my air lock on one batchwhen the temp was dropping causing low pressure in my carboy, so now I use the filter for the first couple of hours then replace it with the air lock once Im down to fermentation temps.

I imagine you'd have to suck pretty hard to create a vacuum in an empty carboy, no? If it's not too hard, I'll be happy to try it to rack from kettle to carboy. I get tired of priming a siphon by hand and dripping water all over the place.

no need to suck really hard, just a couple puffs if seal between carboy and cap is good. It works both ways too, if you create vacum it will suck wort/beer from anywhere, if you create pressure it will push liquid out. Fool-proof transfers for me since I started using it

3010.jpg

It is basically a stainless steel racking cane with tubing in carboy cap and sterile filter. Best thing ever. I use it to transfer wort from brew kettle to carboy by creating vacum in carboy by sucking the air out. I also use it to transfer between carboys (I don't use buckets) and to keg. Best thing ever!

I have this same setup. Just make sure that when you are starting the siphon the cap is sealed well against the carboy. I did have my filter plug up somehow so I ended up just blowing directly through the tube. Fermented beer already has the alcohol so no reason to worry about infection. It seems pointless to me to "sanitize" your mouth. The air is coming from your lungs, I can't see it making much difference. But hey, just my two cents...better safe than sorry I suppose :)

I have this same setup. Just make sure that when you are starting the siphon the cap is sealed well against the carboy. I did have my filter plug up somehow so I ended up just blowing directly through the tube. Fermented beer already has the alcohol so no reason to worry about infection. It seems pointless to me to "sanitize" your mouth. The air is coming from your lungs, I can't see it making much difference. But hey, just my two cents...better safe than sorry I suppose :)

watch out for airborn contaminates though. When siphon has started it will suck a lot of outside air in carboy, wild yeast etc :) I still prefer to use filter with my tranfers, cost pennies and last forever

I found this site by reading about using these with vac pumps. Source carboy has a 2-hole cap with racking cane, destination carboy has a 2-hole cap with the hose from the cane in one side and the vac pump in the other side. Turn on pump, creates vac in empty carboy, pulls beer across. You can do it on level ground, too, rather than just using it to start a siphon.

This is the hand pump used to fill things like air mattresses or those exercise balls.
Very easy to use and eliminates the risk from using your mouth.

3320d1194954952-goodgod-what-have-we-done-siphon-starter.jpg

I use this setup all the time, works great and I don't ever sterilize my mouth, never had an infection.

Latest posts

Back