carboy bung short term fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
Through a series of mis-haps (very long story) I was in a position yesterday where I had to brew or toss my yeast, so I brewed (naturally), only I needed to free up a fermenter, so I racked a belgian blonde (that is not remotely blonde, by the way) to a carboy to 2dy, it was in the primary a good 3 weeks and fermented out. The issue was I didn't have a bung that fit the carboy tightly, I only had one that fits dangerously close to taking a dive. So I wrapped it in saran wrap (sanitized) and stuffed it in. No LHBS open til tomorrow, you see concerns?

I think you are going to be fine. You can also use the orange carboy caps if you have one. Cap the one hole and run a blow off from the other.

The way you worded your comment, I'm not sure if take a dive means go inside the container or get pushed out. Also it sounds like you used saran wrap to make the bung thicker? I wonder if it's air tight.

Coincidentally I had a crazy krausen yesterday and because the neck was wet, it pushed the plug out. The only way I could keep it in was using saran wrap. I think I will use saran wrap a lot more now especially during the first several days.

Back