carboy bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
I've been moving my carboy around inside an old plastic swimming pool chlorine bucket, the 55 lb granular size. Fits in perfectly and a much safer way of moving that carboy, especially if your brewing outside. Has two strong built in handles on side and easily slides across basement floor. I would still use caution in just picking up by the two handle since You do't know how strong the bottom of the pail is due to storing chlorine in it. I just pick it up a little off ground when moving.

I have those exact buckets at home.
I have seen a guy drill a hole in the lid the perfect size for a blow off tub...then the airlock.

Works really sweet for holding grain.
Just make sure you rinse them out really well. I ran the lid thru the dishwasher just to be on the safe side. :)

If i could find a gasket to go inside the lid, I would love to make a secondary out of them. But one project at a time.

As for the durability of the bottom...I guess i depends on how old the bucket is, and if it sat outside... The weather will make them more fragile.

:off: If you grow a garden, Anouther sweet purpose for the buckets is drilling some holes in the bottom and planting potato's in them.
I did that this year and had really good luck with them...Was easy to dump them over and get the spuds...downside, Have to constantly keep filling them with dirt. Search youtube for bucket potato's...Really big over the "pond" britain per say... Not much space over there for a garden i guess.

Guess you could also make a bottleing bucket out of it, Guess the possibilitys are endless with enough creativity.

Back