Carbonic Bite or Keg Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I have had an issue with the same keg on 2 different beers now. The first beer, a SNPA clone, I force carbed @ 30 psi for 24 hours, then lowered to serving pressure, 8 psi. The beer always tasted off. I originally I thought it may have been from kegging the beer green (2 weeks grain to keg,) but it always had the flavor of carbonic bite from over carbing. I even degassed the beer for a week and re-applied to serving pressure, (worked in the past) no real change noticed.

After that keg was finished, I replaced it with a brown porter. I made sure this beer fermented out completly. This time, I let the beer carb up slowly @ 8 psi (38 degrees,) going on 8 days now. The carbonation is fine, but alas, the carbonic bite is back.

I did clean the keg with oxyclean and sanitized with star san before and after the pale ale. I however did not totally disassemble the keg either time.

Do you think it is possibly overcarbed or do you think there maybe a keg infection issue?

all suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

I like to disassemble and clean/sanitize my kegs between each batch. Every couple of batches, I'll take the poppets out of the posts (warning, it can get a bit tricky) for cleaning. That's the only way I'm comfortable knowing that I've provided a nice, clean new home for my precious brew. One of these handy tools really helps - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-11-16-x-7-8-in-wrench-offset-ratchet/p-00943365000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Give it a couple weeks. If the bite fades away, it was carbonic. I had a batch that did that not long after I first started kegging. That's why I just now do the 10-12 psi for 2 weeks carb. It takes that long for it to taste at its best anyway.

Thanks for the reply. FWIW, my other keg was carbed the same way and does not have the same issue.

I am also going to clean the lines and see if that improves anything. I usually do that between kegs, but don't remember if I did before the pale ale keg. I know I did not do that between the the pale and porter. I know, my bad on that one.

Latest posts

Back