Carbonic Bite & Bottling from Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
I usually force carb my kegs at 30 PSI for about 2 days. Yesterday I was unable to turn the gas down so a peanut butter chocolate stout sat on the gas at 30 PSI for 3 full days. I took a glass today after pouring off nearly 2 pints (to rule out trub and just rinse the line from the water that sits in the lines after cleaning) and then took a drink. I finally understand what carbonic bite is and how awful it is.

I need to bottle 12, 12-oz bottles Sunday at the latest from the keg and ship them. I've turned the pressure down to 8 PSI, bled the keg a few times and intend to do that again as I pass by the keg today and this weekend. Is there any chance I can bottle on Sunday and when the bottles are opened on May 9th, the bite may be gone? I don't have time to re-brew and make this right nor can I wait past May 4th to ship due to deadlines.

warm it up and leave it vented. Less CO2 dissolves in warm liquid. I say warm it up to room temps and leave it vented for 24 hours. Chill and pressurize to desired temp/pressure for your desired level of carbonation at your chilled temp.

warm it up and leave it vented. Less CO2 dissolves in warm liquid. I say warm it up to room temps and leave it vented for 24 hours. Chill and pressurize to desired temp/pressure for your desired level of carbonation at your chilled temp.

Vented? Like leave the keg lid open? Won't that oxidize the beer?

Do you have a pressure relief valve that you can leave open?
Not this keg. It's one that you pull up by a ring. It's wonky, I could actually see if I could force it to stay open. or take the IN post off, like the fisherman says.
Either leave the PRV open or take off the IN post.

If you open it after it's a bit warm, CO2 will start to leave the liquid and protect the beer from exposure to air.
Okay, I'll try that out. It sounds like logically it could work. I'm okay if the beer doesn't have a ton of carbonation given that it's a stout and meant to be paired with some dessert my friend is making.

Thanks guys.

Back