carbonation woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm having a little trouble with carbonation .... I started with a Mr beer kit and brewed three batches and following the directions by adding table sugar to each bottle. This ended up being inconsistent . Some were overcarbonated and some were actually just right.

I upgraded my set up from my local brew store and have a 5 gallon kit and am using what should be better equipment and technique.

I brewed an oatmeal stout and a Belgium double. Perhaps its the style.... but I feel like there should be more carbonation.

I am using a a separate bottling bucket after a two week primary fermentation. I am adding the recommended amount of dextrose (5 oz) with one cup of boiled water to my 5 gallons of beer. I'm giving all my bottles a minimum of 2-4 weeks to condition.

I am about to bottle an IPA this weekend and an American pale ale next weekend.... should I do something different?

I have a bottling bucket and add the sugar mixture to that and bottle. Leave the bottles at room temperature for 1 week and I'm carbed. Then I toss bottles in fridge.

Higher gravity beers can take a lot longer to carb/condition. The average gravity ones you'll be doing next should be much quicker.

Back