Carbonation volumes for brown porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Today I'll be bottling Jamil's brown porter from BCS. The book (copyright 2007) says carb for 1.5 to 2.0 volumes. But three other guides say higher, all in the same ballpark: Brew United says 1.8 to 2.5; Brewers Friend says 1.7 to 2.3; Beer Smith says 1.8 to 2.5. Which is more typical...Jamil's lower ranger, or the others' higher? Whichever it is, I'll go a little above the low end.
Thanks!

I guess it all depends on your preference on carbonation. I personally like my beers with a nice head, so I'll be more towards the higher end of the scales.

I'm a new brewer so my opinion may not really count but I'll be carbing a stout in a week with 2.4 and from what I've drank, they usually have similar carbonation levels.

Perhaps just go for bang in the middle of all suggestions at say 2-2.2, I doubt it will make a huge difference and at least you'll know for certain whether you want it less or more on your next porter.

I like my bottled beers (even stouts and porters) at a "regular" amount of carbonation as a rule, a bit more than calculators may recommend. For cask ales, which are nearly flat, I would be ok with it but for regular on tap or bottled beers I'd prefer more carb- as much as 2.2 or so for those and 2.4-2.5 for IPAs and other ales.

My personal preference is higher carbonation as well.
If you are in the keg start low (you can even reduce it if you really want). If you are neither on the low or high side regarding personal preference, use various amounts in some of the bottles and let us know what your preference was once you tried them side by side.

Thanks all. I ended up going with 2.0. Incidentally, I took a taste from the FG sample. It was quite good... really looking forward to opening the first bottle!

Latest posts

Back