Carbonation time: explosive bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennybc

Reaction score
Hi everybody!
I have a cold-crashing American IPA (all grain), which has reached a 1015 FG (this value is stable since three days) after a 3-weeks fermentation (1 week primary, 2 week secondary). I added Isinglass before the cold crash.
The actual FG is equal to the expected, considering the OG (which was 1062).
I consulted some priming sugar calculators, and all of them suggest a 5 g/L dose. I'm a bit worried because my usual priming dose is about 1 g/L, but in fact in these years i brewed only Maerzens. With 1 g/L of sugar the carbonation was perfect; i once got some explosive bottles with higher dose. Unlike the past years, my actual bottles are good quality bottles, but even if they won't explode i still prefer not to paint my house's wall with beer!
Do you think the 5 g/L sugar dose for priming is safe?
May I have the opposite problem, i.e. undercarbonation due to cold-crash and Isinglass? Should i add some carbonation yeast?
Thank you, and sorry if i made some mistakes with English: it's not my mother tongue!

Assuming the residual CO2 associated with a temperature of 20C, 5 grams of corn sugar per liter would get you 2 Volumes of CO2, which is probably even a bit low for an IPA, and certainly not dangerous.

Are you sure you were using 1 gram per liter before? That would get you about 1.1 volumes of CO2, which is very, very low for most styles.

I can assure you that it is impossible to get proper carbonation with only 1 gram of white sugar for 1 liter of beer, no matter the OG, the recipe, ale/lager, etc.

For any kind of beer, you need around 4.5 grams per liter to get a carbonation level of around 2.0 vol. CO2 which is low for a lot of beer styles. Might be suitable for Imperial Stouts. You need around 6.5 grams to go up to around 2.5 vol. CO2, which is a level that it is used in a vast majority of ales and lagers. Beer, once fermented, it will have a residual CO2 level of around 0.8-1.2 vol- CO2. With one 1 gram of sugar per liter, your beer will only have 1.1 vol. CO2, which is extremely flat beer.

I assume that you don't drink flat beer and the carbonation you got until now, was OK. So that means, those beers you primed with only 1 gram of sugar, never finished fermenting, when you bottled them - they actually finished fermentation in the bottle - where the yeast was most likely awaken and got to work, once the sugar was added.

5 grams per liter is also too low. I've bottled a little over 100 batches and for 2.5 vol. CO2, I always used 6.5 grams per liter. It worked perfectly every time. So I believe, whatever your process was, somewhere, something happened without you knowing. But it is strange, that you got away each time with that 1 gram per liter. That would mean every batch you did, refermented more in the bottle than expected, thus creating carbonation.

Yes, I'm sure, it was 1 g/L. What I'm NOT sure of is if the fermentation was correctly over back then, because it was my dad's beer and fermentator. But i know he used to keep long fermentation time (4-6 weeks). My hypothesis are wrong temperature or wrong sugar distribution during the bottling time, but i can't correctly guess right now.

I can assure you that it is impossible to get proper carbonation with only 1 gram of white sugar for 1 liter of beer, no matter the OG, the recipe, ale/lager, etc.

For any kind of beer, you need around 4.5 grams per liter to get a carbonation level of around 2.0 vol. CO2 which is low for a lot of beer styles. Might be suitable for Imperial Stouts. You need around 6.5 grams to go up to around 2.5 vol. CO2, which is a level that it is used in a vast majority of ales and lagers. Beer, once fermented, it will have a residual CO2 level of around 0.8-1.2 vol- CO2. With one 1 gram of sugar per liter, your beer will only have 1.1 vol. CO2, which is extremely flat beer.

I assume that you don't drink flat beer and the carbonation you got until now, was OK. So that means, those beers you primed with only 1 gram of sugar, never finished fermenting, when you bottled them - they actually finished fermentation in the bottle - where the yeast was most likely awaken and got to work, once the sugar was added.

5 grams per liter is also too low. I've bottled a little over 100 batches and for 2.5 vol. CO2, I always used 6.5 grams per liter. It worked perfectly every time. So I believe, whatever your process was, somewhere, something happened without you knowing. But it is strange, that you got away each time with that 1 gram per liter. That would mean every batch you did, refermented more in the bottle than expected, thus creating carbonation.
My guess is the same as yours. I hope this time the fermentation is over, but I'm pretty sure (right and stable FG), so i think i will use 5-6 g/L.
Do you think on the other side that the remaining yeast after the cold crash is sufficient?

There will be enough yeast to create carbonation, even when the beer was cold crashed for several days. So I wouldn't worry. However, there seems to be some flaws in the brewing process - really, no beer needs 4-6 weeks in the fermenter. If it stayed 4-6 weeks and then eventually refermented in the bottle further, then something about the fermentation temperature and schedule was off. Any beer ( leaving aside Brett, etc. ) would be completely done in 7-14 days.

There will be enough yeast to create carbonation, even when the beer was cold crashed for several days. So I wouldn't worry. However, there seems to be some flaws in the brewing process - really, no beer needs 4-6 weeks in the fermenter. If it stayed 4-6 weeks and then eventually refermented in the bottle further, then something about the fermentation temperature and schedule was off. Any beer ( leaving aside Brett, etc. ) would be completely done in 7-14 days.
I know, but as i said i can't understand now what happened years ago, i can only guess. Regarding this beer, the fermentation started vigorously 8-10 hours after the yeast inoculation (US-05). After a week i siphoned it and i kept it another 2 weeks. Temperature was always between 19 and 24 degrees (C).

Back