Carbonation Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
Last week, I posted an update to a previous thread in which I expressed some disappointment that my clone of Pete's Wicked Ale was not well carbonated after 21 days in the bottle. I decided to wait another week and taste again. That was the magic week! The beer tasted good and had good color (it's a brown ale) last Sunday, but it seemed barely carbonated. I put two more in the fridge last night and waited until tonight to try them, and I got a nice two inch head in my Guinness pint glass. I'm so happy! My Am. Pale Ale was well carbed after 18 days in the bottle. This ale took 10 days longer to achieve proper carbonation. But it's there now, and I'm happy!!! :mug: :rockin: :tank:

That's how it goes. You should never lose faith in the magic of homebrewing. Congrats on another successful batch!

Torchiest said:
That's how it goes. You should never lose faith in the magic of homebrewing. Congrats on another successful batch!

Thank you! I had a second bottle, just to be sure. Not as much carbonation as the one earlier, but more than the 2 last week. I think maybe I didn't cap some as tightly as others. Hmmmmmmmm.

LouisianaVince said:
Thank you! I had a second bottle, just to be sure. Not as much carbonation as the one earlier, but more than the 2 last week. I think maybe I didn't cap some as tightly as others. Hmmmmmmmm.

I doubt it is a question of capping although I suppose that could happen. I notice that early on sometimes I get less carbonation in some bottle and I think it is a function of temperature more than anything. The bottles on the inside of a case are lower temperature than the outside ones and ferment slower. They all catch up eventually though. You don't add priming sugar to each bottle do you?

treehouse said:
I doubt it is a question of capping although I suppose that could happen. I notice that early on sometimes I get less carbonation in some bottle and I think it is a function of temperature more than anything. The bottles on the inside of a case are lower temperature than the outside ones and ferment slower. They all catch up eventually though. You don't add priming sugar to each bottle do you?

No, I add it to the bottling bucket and let the action of siphoning mix it.

Latest posts

Back