Carbonation Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibbyGibson

Reaction score
So I'm finishing my first sour and I'm unsure of how much carnonation I want to put into the bottles. I wanted to reach out and find out what everyone thinks. Here's my finished product.

Brewed a Partial Saison with no finishing hops. Added Brett, oak chips, and 2lbs of raspberries into the secondary. Let it ride the wave for 10 months. OG=1.072, FG=1.010. The little tasters I have had were very, very light sourness evenly balanced with the sweetness from the raspberries.

I was thinking about 2.8-3.0 volumes of CO2 to keep it light and bubbly. I've never done volumes that high and am hesitant of bottle bombs. Thoughts?

what are you bottling in? champagne bottles can take lots of pressure in relation to regular 12 oz bottles. i used to bottle my sours in champagne bottles sold at my local shop but now i keg them, i hate bottling.

Most regular beer bottles should hold about 50PSI. So 3.0 Volumes CO2 at 77 F is about 50PSI, so as long as you don't let them get above 77 F you should be fine....

here is a really helpful link:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15376.0

Thanks for the tip. I kept it lower. 2.75 volumes. Regular beer bottles saved up over the years and one growler. I'm keeping it about 68F consistently in my basement for 2 weeks or so. Still keeping my fingers crossed though. Third round of reusing these bottles. Thanks again.

Most regular beer bottles should hold about 50PSI. So 3.0 Volumes CO2 at 77 F is about 50PSI, so as long as you don't let them get above 77 F you should be fine....

here is a really helpful link:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=15376.0

Thanks for the tip. I kept it lower. 2.75 volumes. Regular beer bottles saved up over the years and one growler. I'm keeping it about 68F consistently in my basement for 2 weeks or so. Still keeping my fingers crossed though. Third round of reusing these bottles. Please no bombs. Thanks again. Will definitely save this link for the future.

I consistently go up to 3.25 vol in bombers from a variety of sources without a failure. I have decided this is my limit, so I can't say what the explosion point is. Would be fun to find out though. (With proper safety measures of course.)

I consistently go up to 3.25 vol in bombers from a variety of sources without a failure. I have decided this my limit, so I can't say what the explosion point is. Would be fun to find out though. (With proper safety measures of course.)

Challenge accepted. I love explosions :)

Challenge accepted. I love explosions :)

Exxxxxcellent. Let us know your test protocol and safety measures. I'm thinking we need to know the explosion point to the nearest 0.25 volumes, and we don't want a couple outliers to skew the results, so you should plan on exploding at least a case.

Don't forget pictures!

I'm working on a keg setup right now. I'll have some extra bottles in a month or so. I probably have about 500 bombers and 200 12ers. I won't need all those once I have my kegs.

Bomber bombs! Hehehe........

Back