Carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearkluttz

Reaction score
I am brewing 4.25 Gallons of Northern Brown Ale from extract. I have found that my past few brews have been WAY over carbonated for my liking when i use 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons to carbonate. Due to the smaller size of this batch would i be way off to only use 1/4 or 1/3 of a cup to carb this batch? Thoughts questions comments...:mug:

Two things to try:

1. Scale 3/4 cup per 5 gallons down to the amount in your primary (4.25 gallons would be about 2/3 cup, exactly .6375)
2. Make sure your beer is done fermenting. A lot of overcarbonation can occur when the beer has not yet finished when you bottle.

The style says 2.0-2.6 volumes.Try using 2.3 oz corn sugar for 4.25Gal and 2.0 Volumes. Which is just over 1/4 cup corn sugar

They usually supply you with 4 oz of CS for priming.

4 / 5 gals = .8 oz per gal of beer...

Never use the cup method because CS can compact. Once it does you've inadvertantly overprimed. On the other hand if it's not compacted are you underpriming?

I recommend weight...;)

or use carbing tablets. I'm gonna give them a whirl in about 2 weeks.

Back