Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerryblue3

Reaction score
Wgen bottling my IPA I put priming sugar in the bottom of each bottle then filled them with beer,nothing visible is happening after 7 days ,im using plastic coopers bottles and can still see sugar in the base,what do I do now?:mug:

I have always used priming sugar in all of my brews to date and have extremely good luck with it. I have never heard of adding it to each individual bottle then putting the beer on top of it. Although what temperature are you conditioning your bottles at? That could be having an effect on them not carbing up. Did you run your finished beer through a filtration system? Did you use cambden tablets? A little more info would help all of us out to diagnose your problem.

During the bottle carbonation process, typically there is nothing visible to see. So, you won't know until you actually crack one open. And the residue you see on the bottom is much more likely yeast rather than sugar which should have completely dissolved within minutes. Give them a couple more weeks at around 70*. You can give them a swirl/shake to remix things if you want.

loosen the cap on one bottle. squeeze the air from the heads space, and reseal. when the bottle expands, and becomes firm, yow will know co2 is being produced.

After reading flars response, I reread the op and saw that you used plastic bottles. Definitely do what he suggests. Every time I bottle, I put one in a plastic soda bottle and squeeze out the excess air. When the bottle is hard as a rock, I know the rest are carbonated. Simple trick that works well.

Latest posts

Back