carbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirrp

Reaction score
I recently began kegging my beer. The first two batches I kegged, I primed them with corn sugar. Both of them tasted flat. Anybody have any suggestions? I think I may try to force carb my next batch.

Naturally carbing in a keg can be problematic because they sometimes will not seal until they've been 'smacked' with a high enough pressure. When you hook CO2 up to it, this is accomplished easily, but when you've got it sitting there naturally carbing, CO2 is developed so slowly it can easily leak out too quickly to ever build pressure. If you're going to naturally carb, you should hook the keg up to CO2 at the beginning, and just hit it with 20PSI or something, to make sure it seals, and then put it away to naturally carb.

Personally, don't see much reason to naturally carb a keg, especially if you've got the option of force carbing it, but to each his own I guess...

I've had that issue with corny kegs before. Just apply a little pressure to seal it and allow the conditioning to do it's thing. If you're not using corny's it could be down to things like not enough yeast carried over, too low priming rate, too low secondary temperature.

Latest posts

Back